Birria Tacos is a recipe packed with chili flavours and stuffed up in corn tortillas. If you have ever visited California, you must have seen that Birria Tacos are only present. This is a favourite recipe of all meat lovers with the additional flavour of rich broth. This tacos recipe has the most flavourful combination of spices tossed in broth and small chunks of meat.
Meat lovers love to try different recipes. This tacos recipe is counted among my favourite ones. Generally, it is made of goat meat, but it can also be substituted with beef, pork, veal, or even lamb meat. In The United States, the Birria Tacos are made of meat, especially with a chuck roast. Let us go through the ingredients and the procedure of making this tacos recipe quickly.
Ingredients For Preparing Birria Tacos Recipe
- 5 dried guajillo chiles
- Three dried morito chiles
- Three dried pasilla chiles
- 1 ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lb beef chuck roast
- 2 lb short ribs or beef shank
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ cumin seeds
- 3 halved Roma tomatoes
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 large onion
- 5 bay leaves
For Birria Tacos
- Corn tortillas
- Mozzarella cheese
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro
- One large white onion
- Lime wedges
Instructions To Cook Birria Tacos
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take a large heavy bottomed pot and add guajillo and pasilla chiles.
- Toss them for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Take a medium bowl, add three cups of boiling water and remove the chile from the pot to the bowl.
- Let it settle down for about 20 minutes until it is rehydrated.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven, add vegetable oil. Let the beef sear for about 6 to 7 minutes on both sides.
- Remove it to a cutting board.
- Take a blender and add cloves, garlic, dehydrated chiles, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, tomatoes, vinegar, and 1 ½ cups of chile liquid.
- Grind the mixture until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the beef, onion, and bay leaf to the Dutch oven.
- Add the pasta and approximate quantity of water to cover the beef.
- Please take the beef from the Dutch oven and place it in the preheated oven.
- Poach the beef for about 4 hours until they become fork soft.
- Discard the bay leaf and onion and transfer the beef to a cutting board. Depending on the type of Birria, add the desired amount of water.
- Bring it to boil and season it again. This Birria can be poured into an airtight container for 5 days in the refrigerator.
For Birria Tacos
- Take a saucepan and add oil to the top.
- Take ⅓ of the beef and reheat it until it starts to brown.
- One corn tortilla, dip it into the red fat and cover it with mozzarella cheese.
- Fry the corn tortilla for about 3 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Place the meat on one half of the tortilla and garnish it with white onion and cilantro.
- Fold the tortilla in the shape of the taco for extra 30 seconds.
- Repeat the process until your beef is over.
And this is how the recipe for delicious Birria Tacos is ready to be served with a fantastic garnish of onion, cilantro, and lime wedges. The small bowl of saucy consommé dip adds to the beauty of this dish. Try tasting this perfect first course for once and check yourself getting hooked on it!
Nutritional Calculation Of Birria Tacos
One-time preparation of Birria Tacos yields six servings. Per serving has the following nutritional calculation
- Calories – 417 kcal
- Carbohydrates – 7 gms
- Protein – 51.4 gms
- Fat – 19.3 gms
- Saturated fat – 714 gms
- Sodium – 960.1 mg
- Cholesterol – 171.7 mg
- Sugar – 2.7 gms
- Vitamin A – 16 IU
- Vitamin C – 11 mg
- Calcium – 4 mg
- Iron – 37 mg
Essential Birria Tacos Tips
If you want to make the best Birria Tacos, do not forget these pointers:
- In the above mentioned recipe, a beef chuck roast is used. It can be replaced with short ribs as well. If you wish to eliminate beef at once, use goat meat
- Birria Tacos can be served with soup, chunks of shredded meat too.
- If you consider changing the outlook of these tacos, you can even cook them as Quesadillas.
- In case you are avoiding flour tortillas, switch to a corn tortilla. They are much healthier and taste amazing.
Other Recipes That You Must Try!
If you enjoyed cooking Birria Tacos and you feel great tasting it, then make sure to try other finger-licking dishes that are well
- Carnitas Tacos with Stewed Pinto Beans
- Baked Crispy Chicken Tinga Tacos
- Texas Style Beef Short Rib Chili
Serving Suggestions Of Birria Tacos
The Birria Tacos can be served in multiple ways. You can pick your favourite ones and enjoy this lip-smacking dish. You can do it with its saucy dip; or can even garnish it with shredded or chopped meat drizzled in braising liquid. For extra crispiness and spicy flavour, do not hesitate to make it in the form of Quesadillas. They are extra creamy and melt inside your mouth in one bite.
The Bottom Line
Birria Tacos is an authentic Californian dish that comes with multiple serving options. They are easy to make and have a traditional California flavour. The key ingredients of this recipe, like beef, Mexican oregano, and dried chilies, are readily available on online sites like Amazon. They can also be found in any local grocery stores nearby.
You can substitute all other ingredients of Birria Tacos apart from the key components; else, the conventional essence will be lost. Thai recipes have become one of the trendiest recipes in the United States. Nearly all food bloggers and meat lovers have tasted and reviewed this recipe. Try it yourself once, and let us know what you feel about this recipe.