Ever been to a ‘Praise and Pie’ event at church right before Christmas eve?. The best part about that event is the pie with the custard filling in between. It has a decently sweet and tangy taste due to the presence of lemon juice. Those are buttermilk pies. This article will discuss the recipe for these tasty buttermilk pies. The recipe uses flakey pie crust, which has velvety custard filling prepared with simple ingredients. It is very easy to prepare and makes a perfect southern dessert.
How to prepare Buttermilk Pie?
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups of sugar
- Three large eggs
- Four tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup full-fat buttermilk
- One teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash nutmeg
- One lemon
- 9 inches ready pie crust
Method To Prepare
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Take a large bowl, cream the butter, and whisk the sugar with a hand mixer.
- Add eggs and whisk until it gets completely combined.
- Add flour and salt and keep whisking.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla, nutmeg, and lemon juice once it’s done and mix them until it becomes homogeneous.
- Pour the milk batter into the unbaked pie crust and bake it for 55 to 70 minutes.
- The top of the pie should be slightly jiggly but not liquidy.
- Put the pie plate to the wire rack and let it cool down for about 2 hours.
- Before serving it, chill it in the refrigerator.
- You can add some cutout pie crust leaves or whipped cream with fresh berries on top for decoration.
And your lip-smacking buttermilk pie is ready to be served!.
How To Store Buttermilk Pie
Buttermilk pie is a type of custard pie. You can store this southern dessert in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before storing, make sure that your pie is wrapped in plastic loosely, and the edges of the pie plate are sealed. Freezing a buttermilk pie can change the texture of the filling, and it can become soggy but still would be edible.
Variations Of Buttermilk Pie
There are a few twists that you can add to the buttermilk pie recipe. The five main variations are as follows:
1. Lemon Buttermilk Pie
You have to add lemon juice and lemon zest to this recipe.
2. Buttermilk Chess Pie
It is contrary to the traditional recipe as it has cornmeal as one of its ingredients, and it replaces milk with buttermilk.
3. Chocolate Buttermilk Pie
In the traditional recipe, add ⅓ cup of Dutch-processed cocoa powder into the filling while adding flour.
4. Buttermilk Pecan Pie
In filling this pie, you can either add one cup of chopped pecans or pecan halves are directly poured, and it is very similar to Texas pecan pie.
5. Butterscotch Coconut Pie
Add one cup of shredded coconut [sweetened or unsweetened]. This coconut should be mixed and not whisked.
Other Recipe To Enjoy With Buttermilk Pie
- Butterscotch pie
- Lemon iceberg pie
- Sweet potato pie
- No-bake chocolate pie
Difference Between Buttermilk Pie and Buttermilk Chess Pie
Both the pies have custard filling with all the traditional ingredients. The major difference between buttermilk pie and buttermilk chess pie is the inclusion of cornmeal. Cornmeal is the prime ingredient of buttermilk chess pie, and it has lemon juice and lemon zest as some of its variations.
Substitute Of Buttermilk
- One teaspoon white vinegar with whole milk to one cup line.
- 1¾ teaspoon of cream of tartar on every one cup of milk. Whisk it until it becomes smooth.
- ¾ cup of sour cream with ¼ cup of water or milk whisked smoothly.
- One cup of plain kefir- an unflavoured fermented milk beverage.
- ¼ cup of powdered buttermilk with one cup of water.
These substitutes are very beneficial to make your buttermilk pie recipe even when you don’t have access to the main ingredient.
The Bottom Line
Buttermilk pie is generally inexpensive and is found in surplus quantities in Texas. Buttermilk pie can be consumed all year round, even if you are craving a pie in a season that does not have access to fruits, and this recipe is the best for you. You can make it both sweet and tangy according to your preference, and the decoration creates a wow look to the pie.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
1. What is the total amount of time required to prepare buttermilk pie?
The total time to prepare buttermilk pie from scratch is 3 hours 15 minutes.
2. Why is homemade buttermilk pie runny?
The homemade buttermilk pie becomes runny when the pie is not baked enough for the filling to settle on the edges.