What is a sushi party without an exotic list of sushi items? Adding everyone’s favorite sushi gives an authentic turn to a casual family get-together. If you want to make a sushi roll everyone is bound to fall in love with, you must devote some time and attention. So, you have to ensure that the details are perfect and that there is no room for error. If that is the case, you must go for the California roll that is bound to make you the star of the show.
What Is The California Roll?
California roll is a version of rolled sushi or Makizushi. The sweet umami crab flavors will elevate this sushi roll to another level. Also, the refreshing cucumbers and nori seaweed crunchiness are a perfect balance. Roll it with sticky, well-seasoned rice, and you have a deal.
It is a kind of Uramaki roll in which the rice rolls on the outside. It wraps nori seaweed along with other ingredients on the inside. Though the California sushi roll was not founded in Japan, it is still known as one of the most famous amongst them. So, a California roll also includes cooked crab meat, avocado, and Japanese mayonnaise.
How To Make The Perfect California Roll?
It requires a lot of skill to make a perfect California roll that holds all ingredients together. Also, make sure to collect the ingredients in advance. So, follow the steps listed down below.
1. 1 batch of sushi rice, prepared
2. 200 grams crab meat
3. 1 avocado
4. 3 sheets of unseasoned nori
5. 1 cucumber, small
6. 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
Directions To Follow
1. Make a batch of sticky sushi rice as mentioned in the package.
2. You have to make a California roll inside out. For this, you have to cover the bamboo mat called Makisu with some plastic wrap. Also, this will help prevent the rice from sticking to the bamboo mat and causing delays in making the sushi roll. So, to prevent the sticky rice from sticking to your fingers, dip your fingers in a small bowl full of water.
3. Now comes the part where you fold the nori. First, you have got to fold the nori in half. It will split in half without difficulty if you have gone for fresh nori. Also, doing so will give you 2 3.75 x 8-inch sized nori pieces. But if your nori has gone stale, it will not split without extra hassle. To make it split. You will have to toast it a little by being gentle and placing it on a low flame. So, you can also divide it into two pieces by using a pair of scissors.
4. Place one nori sheet on top of the bamboo sheet covered with plastic wrap. So, wet your fingers a little by dipping them in water. Top off with some rice.
5. You have to ensure that your fingers do not stick to the rice as you place it on the nori sheet. You can keep your fingers moist by dipping them in water. Use your fingertips to layer out the rice on the edges of the nori, forming a thin and even layer. So, be gentle, as you do not want the rice to turn mushy.
6. Top off with some toasted sesame seeds. Then, rotate the nori sheet so the rice layer comes at the bottom. Also, the nori sheet is facing up.
7. Put some strips of cucumber prepared alongside the bottom edge of the nori sheet. Then place some avocado strips above the same. So, end by spreading over some crab meat on top. Do not be over generous with the filling, as your sushi roll will not fold and seal up.
8. Now, you have to roll to form the sushi. To do this, place your thumbs under the bamboo mat in such a way that you can use them to lift it. So, as you do this, you can get the rice over the stuffing. Also, rest your hand on the filling to stay intact and in place.
9. Roll using the mat, so the rice hits the nori sheet. So, if you do not do this, you will roll the mat over the rice, which is not what you want.
10. As you keep rolling, you will notice that the rice has completely rolled to form a cylinder. Give a firm hug to the mat using your fingers. So, you should do this to press the rice a little to prevent it from breaking down as you cut it into the sushi roll.
Storing Of The California Roll
If you are not planning on eating the California roll now, wrap it with plastic. This way, you can eat it when you decide to. Do not put the sushi rolls in the refrigerator as it will make the texture of the rice hard. Since it is not something you want, do not keep it in the fridge for long. But if you plan to eat it after an hour, you can put it in the fridge. This will prevent the crab meat from being spoilt.
Slicing Of The California Roll
Use a long and sharp knife to slice the sushi roll. To do so, set the back edge of the knife blade at the extreme center of the roll. As you pull the knife towards yourself, let it cut through. Be gentle while doing it. If you apply pressure, the roll will get squished. Do this to form 6 cuts of the California roll.
The Bottom Line
The California roll is one of the most famous sushi rolls in the US. Cucumber flavors, crab meat, avocado, and seaweed blend together. They give you a dish worth clinging to.