Bite-sized chicken popcorns are just perfect as appetizers for a dinner party. Full of spices, chilies and fried to perfection. Chicken popcorn is the finger snack that you can easily prepare at home for kids or for a party. We will not only make delicious chicken popcorn butt also Buffalo chicken popcorns and homemade chicken popcorn.
Popcorn chicken is made in many different styles and people add various dips to eat with these. First we will give a recipe for KFC style chicken popcorn then for the buffalo chicken popcorn and then the easiest way to make chicken popcorn at home. While the wings bake, you can make the buffalo wing sauce. It’s easy. Melt some butter in a saucepan and then stir in hot pepper sauce (we love Frank’s hot sauce). When it’s combined, season the sauce with garlic powder and salt. Coat the crispy popcorns in the sauce and serve with celery as well as your favorite dipping sauce. For the Popcorns you can also use cheddar cheese if it’s not easily available in your locality then you can order it online or make it at your home by drying the normal cheese and adding some spices to it Buttermilk, Salt and pepper, Dried thyme, garlic powder, and onion powder are three main and key ingredients that will be used in all three recipes.
Recipe for KFC style chicken popcorn
For frying: – 300 grams Chicken Boneless & oil
For the Marinade: – 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic paste, 1 teaspoon Oregano dried, 1 teaspoon Chili Powder or Paprika Powder, Salt to taste
For the Coating: – 3/4 cup Flour, 1/2 cup Buttermilk, 3/4 cup Panko Breadcrumbs, Salt and Pepper to taste For the Spice Mix: – 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons Kashmiri Chili Powder or Paprika Powder, 3/4 teaspoon Sugar Powdered, 1/2 teaspoon Oregano dried
- Cut the boneless chicken into 1-inch bite sized pieces. Mix together all the ingredients under marinade and rub all over the chicken. Marinate for at least half an hour. Season the flour and panko breadcrumbs for coating with salt and pepper.
- To start making popcorn chicken, arrange an assembly line of sorts. Place flour, buttermilk and breadcrumbs next to each other along with the chicken. Arrange a wire rack to place the chicken once crumb coated.
- Now start by lightly coating the chicken with flour. Dip it in buttermilk next, and then coat with breadcrumbs. Repeat for each piece of chicken, and keep placing them on the wire rack.
- Heat oil for frying and deep fry in batches on medium heat till the chicken is cooked through and lightly brown on the outside. In the meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients under spice mix.
- Dust the chicken pieces with the spice mix as soon as they are fried. This helps coat the mixture all over the chicken. I usually sprinkle the spicy mix and toss the chicken in it while it’s still hot. Serve hot with some sriracha mayo dipping sauce or schezwan sauce.
Recipe for Buffalo Chicken popcorns
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
8 cups popped plain popcorn (from 1/2 cup kernels)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Frank’s Red-Hot Original sauce
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon kosher salt & paprika
1/2 teaspoons baking soda 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300 degree. In a bowl, mix together the paprika, cayenne, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the sugar, hot sauce, and olive oil. Set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add 3-4 popcorn kernels and cover with the lid. Once they pop, add the rest of the kernels and cover, shaking every 10 seconds, until they begin pop. Once the pops are more than 3 seconds apart, turn off the heat and let sit for 15 seconds to allow any final kernels to pop.
- Uncover and drizzle the hot sauce mixture over the popcorn. Carefully toss to coat. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the popcorn and stir to coat evenly.
- Transfer to a bowl and eat immediately, or spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and let cool completely before storing in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Recipe for making Homemade style chicken
2x 7oz/200g Chicken Breasts
3-4 cups / 750ml-1litre Oil, suitable for deep frying (vegetable, canola, sunflower)
1 cup / 250ml Buttermilk
1 packed cup / 200g Plain Flour (scoop & level method)
2 tsp Salt
1.5 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (see notes)
1 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Onion Powder
3/4 tsp Garlic Powder
3/4 tsp Black Pepper 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- Firstly, clean and wash the chicken well.
- Marinating the chicken: In a bowl, add the boneless chicken, salt, red chili powder, white powder, corn starch, Maida/all-purpose flour. Also add ginger garlic paste, beaten egg, soya sauce, vinegar. Mix all these ingredients thoroughly and marinate the chicken for about 20 minutes.
- Coating of the chicken: Take each marinated chicken piece, coat each piece well with bread crumbs. Coat all the chicken pieces with bread crumbs and place aside.
- Deep frying the chicken: Heat oil for deep frying. Then drop each coated chicken piece into the oil. After this deep fry the chicken pieces on low flame for about 8-10 minutes until they turn golden red color. Switch off the flame. Take the fried chicken pieces out and place them on a tissue paper. Serve the chicken popcorn with ketchup or any other sauce or dip you prefer.