If you are craving for the restaurant-style chicken rollatini; why not make it yourself at home? Making it is not hard and is always a show-stopper. Although many people might think that this recipe is a bit tricky and time taking but the results are going to be worth the wait. Surprise your family with homemade chicken rollatini on family dinner and be ready for all the praises that will come your way.
Basically, it’s the chicken cutlets dipped in lemon and olive oil, gently coated in a combination of bread crumbs and Romano cheese then rolled with prosciutto, cheese and red onion and baked until golden and it only takes near 1 hour to prepare this delicious chicken genre. You can also prepare chicken rollatinis with zucchini, spinach and ricotta, prosciutto and mushroom sauce. Serve this with a simple salad and tomatoes and you’ve got a complete dinner.
Nevertheless, there is no need to season the chicken with salt, the prosciutto gives you all the salt you need. If you are watching your sodium, use low sodium ham in place of the prosciutto and use unseasoned breadcrumbs or make your own instead. So
Recipe for making chicken rollatini with spinach : –
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups baby spinach fresh, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs or panko
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Wash chicken cutlets, pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes, or until golden.
- Add chopped spinach, 1/4 cup Romano cheese, salt and pepper and saute about 1-2 more minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Set aside to cool. When cool, add mozzarella cheese and combine.
- Lay chicken cutlets down on a working surface and spread 2 tbsp of spinach-cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.
- Combine breadcrumbs and remaining 2 tablespoons of Romano cheese in one bowl. In a second bowl combine olive oil and lemon juice. Dip chicken in lemon-oil mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish.
- Repeat same steps with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spray with oil spray. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes
Recipe for chicken rollatini with prosciutto
- 4 skinless chicken cutlets – thin slices
- 4 slices Italian prosciutto
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 small pieces of mozzarella – cut into rectangular shape
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano grated cheese
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, and extra
- olive oil cooking spray
- Wash and dry cutlets well with paper towels. Combine breadcrumbs and grated cheese in one bowl and olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper in another bowl.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Dip the chicken in the lemon-oil mixture, then in the breadcrumbs to coat well. Place each cutlet on a work surface such as a cutting board and lay 1/2 slice prosciutto, 1/2 slice cheese and a few chunks red onion on one side of the chicken cutlet.
- Roll and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed). Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, top with remaining crumbs and spray lightly with oil.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes. Serve immediately! Serving size is listed as one, but if you are having this as a low carb meal with a salad.