Are you looking for an alternative to other chocolate desserts? Then why not try the most famous chocolate pie recipe. A classic chocolate pie is often overshadowed by other pie recipes like pumpkin pie and key lime pie.
However, this chocolate pie is a rich, decadent recipe of thick chocolate spread over a crunchy pie base, garnished with thick cream and nuts. It must sound finger-licking delicious to you, but believe us, it does not only sound good; in fact, it tastes beyond imagination. Stay tuned to the article if you want to know more about the recipe and its ingredients.
Ingredients Required For The Preparation Of Chocolate Pie Recipe
Most of us do not wish to try any new recipe because of its ingredients. Either they are not readily available, or the list is so long that it’s challenging to keep up with the list of raw ingredients. But that is not the case with our chocolate pie. Here is the shopping list of ingredients you will need to prepare this recipe.
- 1 already prepared 9-inch pie crust
- 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons of cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 6 oz of finely chopped dark chocolate bar
- 1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter cut into pieces
- One batch of whipped cream for topping (optional).
Step-By-Step Instruction To Cook Chocolate Pie Recipe
The preparation of chocolate pie does not take much time compared to freezing time. It takes nearly 6 hours to chill the dessert for a wonderful experience. Here are the steps you will need to follow to make chocolate pie.
- Take a medium-sized saucepan and whisk sugar, salt, and cornstarch together.
- Mix milk, egg yolks, and heavy cream in a large measuring cup until they are well combined.
- When mixing the dry ingredients in the bowl, drizzle some egg yolks on it for a smooth mixture.
- Now, take a saucepan and heat it over medium flame. Keep cooking the mixture until it starts to thicken. Do not crank up if the mixture instantly does not start to get thick. It generally takes time to cook.
- Once the mixture gets thick, remove the same from the saucepan. Add butter, chopped chocolate, and vanilla extract to the same pan. Keep stirring until the butter and chopped melt and the mixture turns incredibly smooth.
- Pour this pie filling through a mesh strainer into a heat-proof bowl.
- Now take the prepared pie and pour the filling into it. Along with this, take parchment paper and place it against the chocolate’s surface to prevent skin formation.
- Let it chill in the refrigerator for about 6 hours before slicing and serving.
- Once your pie is chill and ready to be served, top it with whipping cream.
Nutritional Calculation Of Chocolate Pie Recipe
Chocolate pie is an extraordinarily yummy and attractive dessert loved by the elderly and kids. One-time preparation of chocolate pie yields 10 slices. One slice has the following nutritional value.
- Calories – 532 kcal
- Carbohydrates – 56 gms
- Protein – 6 gms
- Fat – 32 gms
- Saturated fat – 17 gms
- Cholesterol – 152 gms
- Sodium – 215 gms
- Potassium – 256 mg
- Fiber – 2 gms
- Sugar – 40 gms
- Vitamin A – 812IU
- Vitamin C – 1 mg
- Calcium – 121 mg
- Iron – 3 mg
Hacks On How To Make The Best Chocolate Pie Recipe
Make sure you prepare this recipe only with a thin crust pie that is already prepared. The size of the pie can be 9 inches or 9.5 inches maximum. If you want to cook your crust, you can make the Graham cracker and oreo crust. If the filling does not fit the pie, you can use the extra filling in the mini tart shells. Even they taste incredibly yummy!
What To Do With Leftover Egg Whites
You might have extra egg whites. In such a scenario, you can store them in a clean, dry, grease-free container. Further, you can use it for making white cake, coconut macaroons, or meringue cookies.
Thickening Of Pie Filling
Having patience for this step is essential. The slow thickening of the chocolate mixture allows the sugar to melt down altogether, leaving no lumps behind. Before you proceed with other steps, ensure the mixture is appropriately thick and consistent. To check the correct thickness, you can ensure that the back of the spoon or rubber spatula gets completely covered while stirring.
In this recipe it is advisable to use 60% to 70% cocoa bars. You can even use Ghirardelli, which is a perfect choice in the cocoa powder section of grocery stores. The choco chips work only one inch in this recipe. Hence, it is better to use quality chocolate bars to make chocolate pie.
Perfect chocolate bars can give the pie’s best and most authentic taste. The semisweet chocolate makes the pie extremely sweet and does not give the taste of a rich chocolate flavor. Also, you should not use unsweetened chocolate as it can make the pie bitter and sour. However, it is advisable to go for chocolate bars instead of cocoa powders; they taste the best!
How To Avoid A Runny Chocolate Pie Recipe?
Your chocolate pie can become runny for several reasons. These are:
- The cooking procedure was rushed into
- The filling was not properly stirred, and keep a watch.
- Overcooking of filling
- Stovetop heat is exceptionally high.
- The pie did not get enough time for chilling.
Other than these, any ingredient substitution in inappropriate measure can also lead to runny chocolate pie. To avoid this, ensure that you simmer the pie and chill it at least for 6 hours straight.
Few Other Recipes To Grab Today!
A chocolate pie recipe is tasty and yummy to grab as a dessert. The preparation time is so slight that it sounds like a perfect after-dinner recipe. Try the below-mentioned recipes too for a perfect dessert:
- Banana cream pie
- Chocolate cheesecake
- Coconut cream pie
- Peanut butter pie
The Final Takeaway
The chocolate pie recipe is delicious and flavorful with rich chocolate essence. The pie is known for its chocolatey flavor and crunchy pie crust, which blend perfectly. The preparation time is also very little, which makes this a fantastic recipe to grab. Try it today!