Are you looking for a special recipe that shall make your guests go wow? Well, now your search is over. We are here with a no-fuss recipe that is great for gatherings, roasted Cornish hen. Cornish hen in spicy Mediterranean garlic marinade makes all the difference in the party.
A Cornish hen is a smaller breed of chicken. They are way more tender than larger chickens. Along with this, the calorie count of Cornish hen is also less than average chicken. Made with loads of fresh garlic and warm spices, Cornish hen turns out to be a very special recipe.
Ingredients Required To Prepare Cornish Hen
- 2 celery sticks, cleaned and chopped
- 1 lime or lemon juice
- 1 large enough chopped sweet onion
- 4 Cornish hen, weighing 1 pound to 1.5 pound
- 2 cups of chicken broth
For garlic and spice Marinade
- 15 to 20 garlic cloves
- 1 lime or lemon juice
- 2 ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- One teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Two tablespoons virgin olive oil
Procedure To Cook Cornish Hen
- Preheat the oven at 425 degrees F.
- For preparing Mediterranean spice garlic and spice marinade, mix the garlic rub spice ingredients in a food processor until it turns out to be a pasty spicy mixture.
- Take each hen and apply the marinade generously outside and in the cavities. Also, lift the skin and apply marinade below it.
- Take a cast iron grill or skillet. Put some oil and heat it in medium-high flame. Place the hens inside it until they turn a little bit brown. Take them out and set them to cool.
- Add chopped onions and celery into the cavity when the hen is cool to handle. Add lime juice to the hen. After using the lemon half, add it into the stuffing. You can also add a tinge of seasoned salt to each hen.
- Take a roasting pan and place the hens on them. On each side of the skillet, add two cups of chicken broth.
- Bake it for 1 hour and 15 minutes until the hen juices are cleaned. Remove them from the oven and cover them loosely with foil for 15 minutes before you are willing to serve them.
With this, your perfect Cornish hen with a spicy and tangy taste is ready to be served along with a splash of bright lime juice.
What To Serve Along With Cornish Hen?
This delicacy can be served with many side dishes to make a beautiful large platter. When feeding a huge crowd and plenty of side dishes, the Cornish hens can be halved. It can be served with Cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes, Italian roasted veggies, Lebanese hashweh rice, and simple roasted carrots. To try Cornish hen with salad, try serving it with roasted beet and kale salad or bright fattoush salad.
Tips To Make The Best Cornish Hen In Oven.
Do not avoid the following tips to make the most tender and juiciest Cornish hen in the oven.
- Be very generous with the marinade. To get the best flavor, make sure you apply the marinade under the skin. 15 to 20 garlic cloves might seem more than enough, but they do add to the flavor of Cornish hen.
- Do not forget to brown the hens on the stovetop before roasting. It will help in giving a perfect color and crispy skin.
- The Cornish hen continues to cook even when they are taken out of the oven. So it is better to pull them out a bit earlier to avoid overcooking.
- Like chicken, Cornish hens should also be allowed to rest for a few minutes before serving. This ensures redistribution of juices and getting the best flavor.
Preparation And Storage Tips .
If your guests are already rushing in and you want to save a lot of time, the preparation of the Cornish hen recipe can be done a day in advance. The vegetables can be chopped a night before and kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The preparation of garlic spice rub that is applied on the hen can be made in advance if you plan to roast the hen beforehand. The baked Cornish hen leftover can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Once they are settled down at room temperature, they can be stored in an airtight container inside the fridge.
The Bottom Line
The recipe for Cornish hen is very easy and does not require much preparation. Even though the recipe of Cornish hen is under-appreciated, it is a special recipe for a weeknight meal or even a holiday meal. With tasty Mediterranean spicy garlic rub, roasted Cornish hen is a favorite full-course meal. You can split the hens into halves if you are feeding a crowd.
The recipe of Cornish hen is very easy to make and even serves the crowd. You can prepare this recipe in advance. Let us know the reactions of your guests after tasting Cornish hen.