How about grabbing something light on fillers and having perfect tender bites? We have the fantastic crab cake recipe to add a flair to your easy weeknight meals and elegant dinner parties. This classic lump cake recipe combines the flavors of lemon, Old Bay Seasoning, and parsley with the most flavorsome crab meat.
They are an excellent main course dish for families and children. You can even serve the cakes as a sandwich on a toasted bun. With this recipe in your hand, you can always be confident that you have a quick dinner recipe in your back pocket. No wonder it is a perfect crowd-pleaser appetizer. Let us now check this recipe’s quick instructions and other details.
Ingredients Required To Prepare The Crab Cake Recipe
The best crab meat cake recipe comes from using the best texture of lump crabs, little flavor, and baking them in a hot oven. However, the recipe involves ingredients readily available in any local grocery store. Here are the raw materials you will need to prepare this recipe.
- 1 piece of a large egg
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons of dried parsley leaves
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound of fresh lump crab meat
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cups of saltine cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons of melted unsalted or salted butter (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice plus some more for serving
Step-By-Step Instructions To Cook Crab Cake Recipe
The recipe for crab cake involves minimal time for preparation and cooking. It takes 40 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook the recipe. Let us go through the instructions on how to cook this lip-smacking recipe in no time.
- Take a large bowl and mix mayonnaise, egg, Dijon mustard, parsley leaves, Old Bay seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and lemon juice.
- Place the lump crab meat followed by the cracker crumbs on top.
- Take a spatula or a rubber spoon and gently fold them together. Ensure you do not break the crab meat, or it would not look appealing while serving.
- Cover the bowl tightly with foil paper and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
- Now, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Take a baking sheet and grease the rims with butter or a nonstick spray. You can even line it with a silicone baking mat.
- Take a ½ cup measuring cup and portion the cake mixture into 6 mounds. Do not flatten the mounds.
- Compact the mounds with your hands or a small spoon so that they do not stick or fall apart.
- If you need extra flavor in your cakes, brush each mound with melted butter. However, this step is optional.
- Bake these cake mounds for 12 to 14 minutes until they turn slightly brown around the sides and on the top.
- Drizzle each cake with fresh lemon juice for a tangy twist.
- Cover the remaining crab cakes tightly and keep them in the refrigerator. The cakes last for 5 days if kept in the refrigerator. In case you freeze them for up to 3 months even.
Nutritional Calculation Of Crab Cake Recipe
One-time preparation of crab cakes yields 6 significant pieces. One large piece of cake has the following nutritional calculation.
- Calories – 29 kcal
- Carbohydrates – 0.4 gms
- Proteins – 2.1 gms
- Fat – 2.1 gms
- Cholesterol – 16 mg
- Potassium – 31 mg
- Sugar – 0.1 gms
- Vitamin A – 2.56 IU
- Vitamin C – 0.4 mg
- Calcium – 11 mg
- Iron – 0.1 mg
- Sodium – 59 mg
- Dietary Fiber – 0 gms
Essential Notes On Crab Cake Recipe
Below are some crazy tips and tricks that can help you make a restaurant-quality crab cake recipe. However, you can even make specific changes following your taste and spiciness preference.
The portion of uncooked crab cakes can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you wish to use the frozen ones, first thaw them in the refrigerator, brush the top and sides with melted butter and bake as the directions state. Even in the case of the cooked ones, you can freeze them up. When willing to use, thaw them first and then reheat them at 350 degrees F in the oven for nearly 10 to 15 minutes.
Which Crab Meat To Use?
The best crab meat you can use in this recipe is lump crab meat. They are the first option while preparing for this recipe. Also, this meat does not break easily while prepared and tastes great. Lump crab meats are fresh and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to days or even months.
If you are unsatisfied with the large size of the crab cakes, you can convert them into smaller ones. For making them into much smaller sizes, instead of dividing the cake mixture into 6 mounds, divide them into 12 mounds. Divide it using a ½ cup measuring cup. The time for baking is also less for more miniature crab cakes. Once the top and the sides turn brown, you can take them out of the oven.
What Goes Best With The Crab Cake Recipe?
Generally, people prefer to keep it simple and only squeeze lemon juice on top of the cakes. The recipe for crab cakes is already incredibly juicy and loaded with flavors. This recipe blends perfectly into any occasion with the right spiciness, tanginess, and savoriness. Here’s what you can serve with the finger-licking crab cakes to your family and friends.
- Steamed vegetables
- Dinner rolls
- Caesar salad
- Zucchini casserole
- Baked or roasted potatoes
- Cornbread or corn on the cob
The Final Takeaway
The crab cake recipe has a special place in the hearts of working mothers. They are straightforward and super fast to prepare and cook. Eventually, it saves time for the mothers. However, the ingredients used in the recipe are incredibly flavorsome and binding. The blend of lemon juice with Old Bay gives a perfect street food taste. If you are also looking forward to grabbing something spicy and tangy, do not forget to try this recipe.