Cleaning an oven can be a tricky and challenging job. Many of us loathe the idea of having to clean the oven ourselves. We usually take full use of our ranges and tend to ignore the tedious task of cleaning them. After some time, we get horrified by the accumulation of layers of hard-baked grease, which is just too disgusting to ignore. But it is essential to make sure that our ovens are adequately cleaned and sanitized. The dirtiness of the stove can have severe effects on the food we place inside it. The thought of the impact that dirty accumulated grease can have on our food items is enough to encourage the motivation of oven-cleaning.
Below are guides on how to clean an oven using store-bought cleaning products and natural ingredients. Following these guides can help you to obtain perfectly cleaned ranges which are as good as new.
Essential Materials Required:
1. A Proper Cleaning Agent: Given below are some suitable options:
(i) Ready-Made (Store-Bought) Oven Cleaner– This cleaning agent is considered super-effective, allowing you to clean your oven in no time and without any issue. The only problem is that it can be corrosive and should not be used by people sensitive to complex chemicals.
(ii) Baking Soda, Vinegar And Water– This cleaner is very effective and can be used to remove loads of grease.
2. Safety Glasses- This item is needed to protect your eyes from the store-bought cleaner.
3. Cleaning Gloves- You should never use disposable gloves, instead use rubber-cleaning gloves.
4. Old Newspapers- Always keep old newspapers laid down on the ground to prevent anything from dripping out.
Method 1: Using Store-Bought Cleaning Agent:
1. Clear out your oven entirely and lay down some old newspapers beneath the oven.
2. After putting on your gloves and glasses, spray the cleaning agent throughout the inside of the oven, covering every side, corner and crevice.
3. Then let the cleaner sprayed on the oven sit for the time stated on the label.
4. Meanwhile, take the oven racks, spray them with some cleaner, place them in a large plastic bag and tie the top shut. Leave them for the time stated on the label.
5. Now, when the ovens and racks are ready to be cleaned (the amount of time has passed), take a damp cloth and wipe off the cleaner from every part it was sprayed on.
6. Then, take out the racks from the plastic bag and clean them using hot, soapy water.
Method 2: Using Baking Powder, Vinegar And Water:
In this method, you need to prepare a mixture of 1/2 cup baking powder and 2-3 tablespoons of water. Use this mixture by spreading the paste formed inside the oven, covering all sides, corners, and crevices. It would help if you let the paste sit for 10 to 12 hours or even overnight. Meanwhile, you should sprinkle some baking powder on the racks and pour some vinegar on top.
While doing this, the mixture of baking powder and vinegar will foam. After the foaming stops, run some hot water over the racks until they are fully immersed. Let the frames sit overnight or for 10-12 hours. After 12 hours, take a damp cloth and wipe all the surfaces. If you find it difficult to remove some parts of the paste, you can always pour some vinegar to react with the baking powder and start foaming. Using the damp cloth, wipe off the mixture from the racks.
Note- To get rid of extra sticky grease, use a microfiber sponge, pumice or any other equipment to remove it.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What is the best homemade oven cleaner?
The mixture of baking powder and water for the oven and baking powder and vinegar for the oven racks are said to be the best oven cleaners.
2. Why is a clean oven necessary?
A clean oven enhances the quality of food cooked in it.
3. How often should I clean my oven?
It would help if you cleaned your oven once every three months.