Who does not love to make different variations of delicious food items using tortillas? As we all know, tortillas can be folded to make irresistible tacos or enchiladas, which serve as great food options to serve on fun occasions, be it game nights or just regular get-togethers. Also, if you are in the mood for something fried which is equally healthy, feel free to fry up the tortilla dough to make everyone’s absolute favourite dishes, like crispy tortilla chips, chilaquiles, and even homemade nachos, salsa and hummus, along with with various other dips are sure to be your best friend here. But tortillas made from flour are usually full of gluten, which most athletes avoid. But, what if we tell you there is a way to enjoy your favourite fried tortilla chips or nachos, which are gluten-free? That’s right! We bring for you a fantastic tortilla recipe that does not contain even a trace of gluten- corn tortillas.
Corn Tortillas: A Healthy Substitute To Gluten-Full Regular Tortillas:
Filled with the goodness of corn, this nutritious and gluten-free take on the classic tortilla is all you need to make occasions for fun and healthy. Be it occasional game nights or night stay with your loved ones, enjoying while maintaining proper health has never been more accessible and fun. Also, people on a vegan diet are sure to fall in love with this tortilla, as it is vegan and gluten-free. A valid reason you should try out this dish is that it requires only three ingredients, and thus, it is straightforward to make. If you want to add some spice to this dish, feel free to load it up with delicious fried chicken and your favourite veggies. To change the texture and have a little bit more fun, try frying these tortillas, and you are bound to be obsessed with them. Eating nachos without worrying about the increasing calorie rate from gluten has never felt more exciting.
We have tried our absolute best to provide you with the necessary information about corn tortillas so that you do not have to face any problems while making them. So, we advise you to read this article until the end and don’t miss out on the details! The time you dedicate to reading this article will be worth it!
How To Make Delicious Corn Tortillas At Home:
As we have mentioned before, this dish is straightforward and requires only three ingredients, easy to find. So, start now for the best experience.
1. 2 cups masa harina (corn flour)
2. 1 1/2 to 2 cups of hot water
3. 1 tsp acceptable sea salt
Directions To Follow:
1. Take a large mixing bowl and add in the masa harina and salt. Mix them until combined.
2. Then add the hot water and continue to stir with the help of a wooden spoon. So this until a thoroughly combined dough is formed.
3. Using your hands, knead the dough in the mixing bowl for about 3 minutes. So this till the dough is evenly mixed, smooth and forms a solid ball.
4. Then, as soon as the dough is made, cover the mixing bowl using a damp fresh towel. Let it remain covered for 10 minutes.
5. Using an ice-cream scoop, take out the dough into a 2 tbsp ball, then, using your hands, shape the ball so that it appears to be smooth and round.
6. Then, take a dough ball and place it between the two plastic surfaces of a tortilla press.
7. After that, press the ball gently so that it appears to be 4 to 5 inches in terms of width.
8. Then, over medium to high heat, heat a non-stick skillet or pan.
9. Once the pan turns hot, gently place the tortilla on the skillet evenly.
10. Allow the tortilla to cook for about 40 seconds to 1 minute per side. Flip the tortilla to the other side once brown spots start to appear. Do not panic when the tortilla begins to bubble up, as that is considered a good sign.
11. Once it is evenly and properly cooked, transfer it to a nice, clean plate not to dry out.
Repeat the same with the other tortillas and enjoy!
How Can I Use Corn Tortillas?
These tortillas can be used in a variety of different ways. Firstly, you can use the ‘Indian’ method, pairing it up with a ‘sabji’ of choice. You can also use them for making:
1. Tacos- When the question of tacos arrive, no one wants to risk it. As corn tortilla is a healthy substitute to regular gluten-filled tortillas, you should consider using them for your subsequent taco preparation. Fold and load up this tortilla with your favourite taco fillings, be it Mexican flavours, pinto bean or juicy chicken! You are bound to fall in love with it!
2. Enchiladas- Feel free to soak up the tortilla in your favourite red or green sauce and overload it with your most loved flavours. This is sure to leave you craving for more!
3. Corn Tortilla Chips- You can also cut the tortilla dough into triangular pieces, fry them in oil and sprinkle with some of your favourite spices. It is perfect for fun and casual get-togethers.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How many carbs are there in a corn tortilla?
If you prepare this tortilla precisely as the recipe says, there will be 15 of them, each containing approximately 12.5 g of carbs.
2. Are corn tortillas vegan?
These tortillas are purely vegan and gluten-free.
3. How to store corn tortillas?
Store the leftover tortillas in a ziplock bag or a plastic wrap in the refrigerator for about three days.