Ask a Korean family about Kimchi, and they will tell you how they cannot have enough of it. This delicious, easy-to-make recipe is the best way to kickstart your meals with the right flavors. Although Kimchi recipe varies everywhere, we are sure that you will love them once you gobble on each of them.
Today, we will show you a few simple and easy kimchi recipes that you can try out at home without much inconvenience. We promise; it is worth the shot!
The magic of Kimchi
Many Korean families have different variations of making Kimchi. They prefer making their Kimchi with a fine mix of the different spices that they love. While some people love adding carrots to their dish, others feel it doesn’t quite do justice. Also, some may like sweeteners, while others may frown upon them. That is why Kimchi is open to variations as per your liking.
Today, we will introduce you to two of our favorite Kimchi recipes that are healthy and contain readily available ingredients. So, let us take a look at them.
How to make Cabbage Kimchi?
Cabbage Kimchi is one basic dish that takes almost 30 to 45 minutes to prepare. This easy-to-make recipe is worth a shot when you want to grab a bite instantly. So, why keep waiting? Let us dig into it!
1. 1 medium head napa cabbage
2. ¼ cup iodine-free sea salt
3. Filtered Water
4. 1 tbsp grated garlic
5. 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
6. 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
7. 2 tbsp fish sauce
8. 1 to 5 tbsp Korean Red pepper flakes
9. 8 ounces Korean Radish
10. 4 medium scallions
1. Cut the cabbage lengthwise into fine pieces.
2. Take a bowl and add the cut cabbage into it. Also, sprinkle some salt over it. Now, using your hands, try to massage the salt with cabbage and soften it. Add water to cover it. Cover the cabbage with a plate and weigh it down with a jar or anything available in the kitchen. Let it be like that for at least 2 hours.
3. Now, rinse off the cabbage properly and drain the water.
4. Now, take a bowl and add garlic, ginger, sugar, fish sauce, shrimp paste, and water. Make this into a smooth paste. Stir in the gochutgaru and set aside until the cabbage is set.
5. Now add the vegetables into it and mix properly.
6. Now, take a jar and pour the Kimchi into it.
7. Let it ferment for around 1 to 5 days and then serve.
How to make vegan Kimchi?
If you love dishes with lots of veggies, provide freshness and lots of flavors, this kimchi recipe will take your breath away. This gluten-free, Korean-inspired, and vegan kimchi recipe is all it takes to whip up the best kimchi recipe you have ever tried.
- 1 head napa or savoy cabbage (outermost leaves removed // well rinsed)
- 1 Tbsp sea salt (plus more as needed)
2. VEGAN FISH SAUCE
- 2 Tbsp tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (from a can)
- 1/4 cup warm water
3. CHILI SAUCE
- 3 Tbsp fresh ginger (peeled and chopped)
- 1 head garlic (1 head yields ~1/3 cup cloves)
- one small white onion (or sub 1/2 large per 1 small)
- 1/2 cup Korean Red chili flakes (or ground // more or less to taste)
4. VEGETABLES optional
- two whole carrots (finely chopped or grated into matchsticks)
- six green onions (roughly chopped)
1. Take a sharp knife and cut the cabbages properly.
2. Now, take a large bowl and add the cabbage into it by massaging it with salt. Once that is done, let your cabbage rest for a while.
3. Now, prepare your chili sauce by adding all the ingredients into a bowl. Make sure you mix it properly.
4. Add vegan sauce and pulse to combine the mixture.
5. Now, flip your cabbages. Do this three times to make it right.
6. Now, add chopped carrots and onions to a bowl along with the sauce. Stir well.
7. Now, after the cabbages have been flipped, wash them in cold water properly.
8. Now, coat the cabbages nicely. Continue until all cabbage is packed in, then press down very firmly to remove air. Top with a clean, sterilized lid and set in a cool dark place (such as a cabinet, not the refrigerator) to ferment.
9. Now, ferment the cabbage.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which Kimchi recipe is the best here?
Both the kimchi recipes are incredible So, try them out in turn.
2. Can I customize my kimchi dish with veggies?
Yes, you can do that.