Mozzarella is a soft and light cheese made from Italian buffalo’s milk by the pasta filata technique. It is a white cheese that can also be made from cow’s milk. It is also known as the ‘stretchiest cheese’ as it is made using the pasta filata method. Mozzarella cheese has a lower calorie and sodium content as compared to other types of cheeses. It has a highly silky texture and melts very easily. Therefore, it is loved by people of all age groups, but mainly by the kids. It is an excellent source of Vitamin B2 and Vitamin B7. This cheese also helps in fighting diseases like anaemia and migraine attacks. It also assists in controlling cholesterol and makes your bones stronger.
Given below is the perfect recipe on how to make mozzarella cheese at home.
How To Make Mozzarella Cheese At Home:
1. 1 1/2 tsp citric acid
2. 3/4 cup cool water
3. 1-gallon raw milk
4. 1/4 tsp liquid rennet
5. 1 tsp salt, optional
1. Take a small bowl and add in 1/4 cup water and liquid rennet. Mix them well.
2. Take another small bowl, add the remaining water and citric acid and mix until dissolved.
3. Over medium heat, set a large pot. Pour in the milk and stir in the citric acid mixture prepared in step 2. While stirring from time to time, heat the milk until the temperature reaches 90F.
4. Now, remove the pot from heat and add in the water-rennet mixture prepared. Stir in a figure-8 movement for at least 30 seconds.
5. To still the milk, stir it in the anti-clockwise direction.
6. Cover the milk for 5-10 minutes until it sets into curd. To check for the firmness of the curd, press it down using the back of a spoon.
7. Then, cut the curd into 3/4 inch cubes using a palette knife by slicing perpendicularly into the pot. Stir the curd lightly but remember to keep the cubes unbroken.
8. Now, over medium heat, return the pot to the heat. Stir the curd gently until the temperature reaches 109F.
9. Transfer the curd to a colander placed over a large bowl. Squeeze the curd softly to take out the drained water (whey).
10. Now add the whey to the pot and heat it to 185 F.
11. Wear a glove and take out a piece of the curd. Place it on a slotted spoon and immerse it into the whey for at least 5-10 seconds.
12. Now knead and stretch the curd and continue to do so until it has an elastic and silky texture.
13. Then, knead in the salt and turn the Mozzarella into a ball. Do the same with the rest of the curd.
14. Lastly, let the Mozzarella cool. Then wrap it firmly using plastic wrap and shift it to the refrigerator.
Some Extremely Delicious Dishes Which Are Incomplete Without Mozzarella:
1. Pizza- Mozzarella cheese is considered one of the star ingredients in all pizzas, whether it’s vegan or includes meat. The gooey texture which this cheese provides to the pizza is what makes a pizza complete!
2. Cheese balls- As the name suggests, the key ingredient of this dish s cheese. Not any cheese, but only Mozzarella. It is perfect for serving at any gatherings, occasions and ideal for serving at a kid’s birthday party.
3. Pasta- Pasta is completely imperfect without adding some delicious and stretchy Mozzarella cheese to it. As everyone loves pasta, it is essential to make it perfect. And Mozzarella cheese is precisely the thing to do that.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is it safe to eat Mozzarella raw?
It is entirely safe to eat Mozzarella raw as it is made from pasteurized milk.
2. Which cheese is considered to be best for pizza?
The answer to this question will surely be Mozzarella cheese.
3. What is the best Mozzarella cheese for pizza?
Galbani Mozzarella Fresca is known to be the best possible cheese for making pizza.
4. Is Mozzarella vegan?
No, Mozzarella is not vegan as it is a dairy product.