The pickled onion is an amazing side dish that can be used with almost any, and I mean it, any dish or meal. Most people generally love it, and the others who don’t haven’t tried it yet because the people who try pickled onions cannot stay away from them for long.
You can make pickled onions with only six ingredients, and these ingredients are always readily available in anyone’s house. This makes it a lot easier for a person to make pickled onions.
Also, suppose you love eating pickles with your meals, but you hate how these pickles are full of oil, and they are not suitable for your health either. In that case, pickled onions is the best, and I mean it, the best alternative to the pickles because you will not even feel the need to eat these unhealthy pickles once you have tried pickled onions.
So here is the quick-pickled onion recipe that you can make in only and only 10 minutes.
- Red onion (thinly sliced): 1
- White vinegar: ½ cup
- Sugar or honey or maple syrup: 2 tablespoons
- Water: ½ cup
- Whole spices (cardamoms, black pepper, etc.): 1-2 teaspoons
- Salt (to taste)
- Optional ingredients:
- Bay leaves: 1-2
- Dried or fresh oregano: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves (minced): 1-2
- Take a small pot and portrait on the stove.
- Pour the water and vinegar into it.
- Allow the two things to heat up a little, and then add the thinly sliced onions to it with sugar, salt, whole spices, and any other additional optional ingredients that you might want to add in it.
- Allow the contents of the pot to boil and simmer for one minute.
- Keep stirring it while it is simmering.
- Now remove it from the stove and let it cool for a while.
- After the pickled onions have cooled down, pour the onions and the liquid in a clean airtight container.
- Your pickled onion is ready.
- Store this in the fridge.
Store the pickled onions in an airtight container in the fridge. This lasts upto 2-3 weeks. However, you won’t find it necessary to keep the tally of days as it never lasts that long. People lunge for the pickled onions at its sight.
Some important tips:
Pickled onions are made differently all around the world. They have some particular ingredients. If you add them, the pickled onions become a different version of themselves, and it seems like they have become a part of a particular cuisine.
So some versions of pickled onions recipe are:
- Now for an Indian version, you can add fennel seeds, cilantro, and fenugreek.
- For a Mexican version, you can add coriander seeds, sliced jalapeno, and whole cumin.
- For a Nordic version, you can add caraway, fresh dill, and peppercorns.