Who does not like to get a taste of the tropical sides now and then? No one, right? Almost everyone dreams of going to Hawaii and sit by the beach while sipping their favorite cocktail and loading up on their specialties. But, since that is not possible given the current situation of COVID 19 and how it has habituated the entire world, we bring Hawaii to you. We put forward a fantastic blend of tropical flavors, which is just enough to make you live the Hawaiian culture and do the Hula dance! Filled with the goodness of ginger, garlic, and pineapple to provide sweet-savory flavors, this dish will fill you up with everything you need to get accustomed to the Hawaiian culture. This tropical dish is known to be the Huli Huli chicken!
Huli Huli Chicken Is All You Need To Discover Your Tropical Side:
This famous dish is known to be a lush turn to the delicious pan-seared or grilled chicken. An irresistible blend of pineapple marinade enriched with ginger and garlic’s sweet and savory flavors is all you need to make this dish steamier and more wholesome. This dish can be your go-to item as not one person enjoys playing with tropical flavors now and then.
You can serve this dish with some delicious pineapple rice or a simple macaroni salad, and you are good to go. If you want to add an equatorial touch to this, sit by your patio and enjoy this dish with a luscious mimosa. This idea is sure to make your day even better. Also, if you are willing to organize a tropical theme party, our Huli Huli chicken will become your best friend as it is straightforward to make. We guarantee that this party will become one of the most memorable ones you have ever had.
To get to know more about making this delicious tropical chicken dish, make sure to read this article until the very end. We promise you will not want to miss out on anything, and you will indeed have the experience of a lifetime while preparing this dish.
How To Make The Delicious Huli Huli Chicken?
We have provided you all the information, ranging from the ingredients required and directions to follow to what side dishes would go best with this dish. So, we advise you to continue reading as the experience will be worth it!
1. 3 lb chicken thighs or breast
2. 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For The Marinade:
1. 1/4 cup Sherry or Chinese cooking wine
2. 3/4 cup pineapple juice, bottled or canned. (do not use fresh juice)
3. 1 1/2 tbsp ginger, grated
4. 1 1/2 tbsp garlic, grated
5. 1/2 cup soy sauce
6. 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
7. 1 tbsp Sriracha
8. 1/4 cup brown sugar
9. 1 tbsp sesame oil
10. 2 tbsp cider vinegar (or rice vinegar)
1. Green onion, sliced
2. Pineapple slices (grill the slices for about 3 minutes per side)
Directions To Follow:
For Preparation Of Marinade:
1. Take a medium-sized bowl and mix all the ingredients required to make the marinade.
2. Take out 3/4 cup of the marinade for basting purposes.
3. Pour the remaining 1/4 cup of marinade over the chicken thighs (or breasts) in a ceramic or glass container. Do not use a plastic or metal container.
4. Coat the chicken pieces in the mixture and marinate for 1 to 2 days.
For The Cooking:
1. Take a BBQ grill and brush it with oil. Let it preheat over medium to high heat. Instead of the grill, you can also heat oil in a skillet over medium to high heat.
2. Get rid of the excess marinade mixture from the chicken and set the pieces on the grill or skillet.
3. Allow one side of the chicken to cook for about 3 minutes until they turn golden in color.
4. Then flip to the other side and allow them to cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Using the marinade, which was set aside, dab generously, then flip the chicken and allow them to cook for 60 seconds.
6. Repeat this every minute to reach a total cooking time of 10 minutes.
7. Then lastly, transfer the chicken from the grill/skillet to a plate. Cover the pieces with foil paper and allow to rest for 3 minutes.
8. Garnish with the grilled pineapple slices and sliced green onion. Enjoy!
Some Side Dishes To Pair Up With Huli Huli Chicken:
To add a little bit of extra spice and excitement to this already wholesome dish, feel free to pair it up with the following side dishes:
1. Pineapple Rice
This dish will give a lush turn to this delicious grilled chicken. The infusion of pineapple in the rice will provide a tropical touch we all have been craving for!
2. A set of versatile salads
A set of salads like cucumber salad, potato salad, some coleslaw, or vermicelli salad is sure to do the job of making this dish an ultimate classic and something to die for.
3. Grilled corn
What else can add more of the tropical feeling to a dish other than delicious grilled corn with pineapple marinade drizzled all over it?
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I serve a side dish of prawns along with Huli Huli chicken?
Of course, prawns will add a continental factor to this delicious tropical dish.
2. Why is it advised to use canned or bottled pineapple juice for preparing Huli Huli chicken?
Pure pineapple juice contains a strong tenderizer, which is likely to tenderize the chicken. So, it is advised to use bottled or canned pineapple juice as they have a long shelf life, which kills the tenderizing agent present.
3. Which chicken is best for Huli Huli chicken?
Boneless chicken is the most recommended due to its gorgeous caramelization when cooked.