Fast food has been every person’s nemesis, especially if a person is on a keto diet. The Keto diet is low in carbs, high in fat, and moderate in protein. The low carbs in a keto diet can be a problem if you love fast food.
Even if you don’t love fast food or are trying your level best not to eat fast food, there are times when you have a hectic schedule, or you are on the road, there is no other option except eating fast food.
Now one problem with fast food speed is that every single fast food is high on carbs, while the keto diet requires a person to eat low carbs. However, you might be surprised and delighted to know that all your favourite fast food places provide you with options that have low carb content and allow you to follow your keto diet without any obstruction.
However, this does not mean that since fast food centers provide you with keto fast food, you will fill up your stomach with all the keto fast food you can find. This is so because even keto fast food is fast food, and no matter how much better it is for your health than normal fast food, home-cooked food is the most keto-friendly food.
Therefore, in this article, we will be talking about different fast food options available to you that are keto-friendly so that you can enjoy fast food once in a while.
● Breadless/ Bunless Sandwiches and Bunless Burgers:
- Sandwiches are one of the most famous breakfasts all over the world. They are easy to make and also easy to find at any place. Therefore, a keto diet can include sandwiches that are breadless as bread is full of carbs, and you might want to cut on that.
- Similarly, if you feel a lot more hungry and cannot be content with a single sandwich that cannot help you go through your day, try a grilled chicken sandwich without the bun. Many stores like McDonald’s, Subway, etc. provide you with a bunless option, and the grilled chicken can help you keep your belly full. However, it is important to remember that chicken should only be grilled and not fried as trying to increase carbs in your meal.
- You can also customize your order by including some high-fat toppings that have low carb content so that you can feel complete in your stomach all day while working on your projects.
- For bunless burgers, skip buns and high carb toppings (such as ketchup, honey mustard sauce, breaded onions, and teriyaki sauce) instead of some low carbs toppings (for instance, salsa, mayo, avocado, lettuce, ranch dressing, onion, tomato, etc.).
Some of the keto-friendly bunless and breadless sandwich and bunless burger options available to you are:
- McDonald’s and Burger King: Mac double (no bun), Double cheeseburger (no bread), Grilled chicken sandwich (no bun).
- Arby’s: Roast beef sandwiches (no bun), Double roast beef sandwiches (no bun), Three cheesesteak sandwich (no bun or onion strings), Roast Turkey and Swiss sandwiches (no bread).
- Wendy’s: Grilled chicken sandwich (no bun), Junior bacon cheeseburger (no bun), Double stack cheeseburger (no bun).
- Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s: Lettuce wrapped cheeseburger (no bun), Grass-fed all-natural burger (no bun), Big hamburger (no bun), Double cheeseburger (no bun), Monster thick burger (no bun), Bacon cheese thick burger (no bun).
- You can also try “unwichs” (or sandwich fillings without bread) which are made available at Jimmy John’s.
● Burrito Bowls:
- Burrito wraps are very high in carbs, and if you are on a keto diet, they are a strict no-no for you as a single burrito wrap can stuff you with 50 grams of carbs and 300 calories alone.
- It is surprising that if you choose not to use a burrito wrap and instead eat all the contents of the Burrito without using the burrito shell, you might be able to cut a lot of the calories and carbs.
- Moreover, getting the contents of Burrito in a bowl is available in almost all the fast food shops. They can deliver burrito bowls at your request.
- However, be sure not to add any high carb toppings, like beans, sweet dressings, tortilla chips, or corn.
- Instead, use sorted veggies, guacamole, sour cream, avocado, cheese, salsa, onions, or fresh herbs.
Listed below are some of the places that provide you with burrito bowls for your keto-friendly diet:
■ Chipotle: Chicken burrito bowl (no beans or rice), Steak burrito bowl (no beans or rice).
■ Taco bell: Cantina power steak bowl ( no beans or rice).
■ Moe: Southwestern grill burrito bowl (no beans or rice).
- Although salads are good for your health, however, the salads provided to you in the fast-food centers are not good for a keto diet since they use many high carb content ingredients such as sweet dressings and marinade, dried fruit, sweetened nuts, or anything with added sugar.
- Therefore, it is essential to customize your salads in fast food centers according to your wishes.
- You can eat any salad you like but try to use low carb dressings and ingredients in it, some of the low carb ingredients include guacamole, sour cream, cheese, salsa, jalapeno, cheddar cheese, and ranch dressings.
- Beverages are filled with sugar, and as you all know that sugar is one of the biggest additions of carbs to your diet.
- So, while following a keto diet, you might want to cut down on the sugar and instead use some of the low sugar beverages which can help you cut down on the carbs and let your diet be keto-friendly:
■ Black iced coffee
■ Black coffee
■ Coffee with creme
■ Unsweetened iced tea
■ Soda water
■ Hot tea with lemon juice.
● Miscellaneous tips:
- Eat egg-based meals as eggs have negligible carb content and are high in protein.
- Never eat ketchup.
- Go for an oil or vinegar dressing on your salad.
- Avoid fried foods as they are breaded with carbs, especially say no to those french fries!