Kung Pao recipes are as good as they can get. A flavoursome combination of brown sauce and veggies, Kung Pao can make any meal turn into a fancy dining experience. For those who are hunting for a healthy recipe, this one is going to come in handy.
Today, we are going to share another irresistible Kung Pao recipe that never gets old. With this recipe, you are sure to go finger-licking forever. Let us check out how to prepare Kung Pao Tofu!
What is Kung Pao Tofu?
Kung Pao recipes are a Chinese dish that can be made using any vegetable and meat of your choice. Not only is this a healthy pick for all health freaks but also one that is full of nutrition. The delicious brown sauce that is both sweet and spicy is the standout ingredient of this dish. What makes this Kung Pao Tofu recipe even better is the addition of firm Tofu that you can bake and grill to your heart’s delight. With this recipe, you never have to worry about entertaining guests at home. Although it takes some time to cook this dish, once it comes out of the oven, you can’t stop wanting more.
How to cook Kung Pao Tofu recipe?
Kung Pao Tofu recipe is a vegetarian dish but, if you desire, you can add shrimps and chicken to suit your preference. You can also make your customizations in terms of adding vegetables to this dish. This light Chinese dish is perfect for any meal that you love. With 244 calories and lots of protein, this recipe is all set to add joy to your mealtime.
114 ounce of extra firm Tofu
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons of gluten-free soy sauce
3 tablespoons corn-starch
1-2 inch piece ginger
2 garlic cloves
2 medium scallions
2 medium zucchini
2 medium red bell peppers
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2-3 tablespoons sambal Olenek
2 tablespoons, 1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons lightly salted peanuts
Instructions to make Kung Pao Tofu recipe
1. Take out the excess water from Tofu by covering it with a towel and pressing it hard so that it releases the water.
2. Now, cut the Tofu into several cubes according to your preferred size.
3. Take soy sauce and corn-starch. Whisk it well to combine, then pour the Tofu. Now, let the Tofu cook while you prepare the sauce.
4. Take another bowl and add the remaining soy sauce, water, corn-starch, vinegar, sherry, brown sugar and sambal. Combine everything well.
5. Heat two tablespoons of sesame oil and add the Tofu. Fry them until they turn golden brown.
6. Add the remaining sesame oil to a pan and add ginger, garlic, scallion whites. Sauté for around 30 seconds.
7. Now, add the Zucchini and Bell peppers. Once you add them, increase the flame to high. Now add the Tofu and sauce. Mix well.
8. Keep cooking for around two to four minutes.
9. Garnish with scallions and peanuts to serve the Kung Pao Tofu recipe hot.
How to make Kung Pao Tofu Vegan?
For those who are not comfortable with chicken and other non-vegan items, Kung Pao Tofu Vegan could be your saviour. The recipe is almost similar to the previous one we have shared above. All you have to make sure of is to be careful about the ingredients that you are using.
1-pound firm tofu or extra firm tofu
3 tablespoons vegetable cooking oil
1 green pepper, cut into small pieces
1 red pepper sliced
3 to 5 dried red chilli pepper (I use whole pieces to reduce the hotness)
1/8 teaspoon whole Sichuan peppercorn
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch root ginger sliced
2 leek scallions, cut the white part into small sections
1 tbsp. roasted peanuts
½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
a small pinch of salt (around 1 teaspoon)
1-inch ginger grated
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon corn-starch
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoon sugar
Instructions to make Kung Pao Tofu Vegan
1. Cut the Tofu into several cubes around 2 cm. Drain the excess water using a towel.
2. Cut the bell peppers into small pieces.
3. Mix all the ingredients for the stir-fry sauce.
4. Heat a pan and add peanut oil. Fry the tofu cubes until golden brown. Now, move them to a different plate.
Once that is done, add some oil to the pan.
5. Fry the dried chilli pepper and peppercorn. Then, add ginger, garlic, leek onion and the Tofu pieces. Mix.
6. Now, add the Kung Pao sauce and mix well. Make sure that the Tofu cubes are well-cooked in the sauce. Garnish and serve the Kung Pao Tofu Vegan dish hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I eat noodles with crispy Kung Pao Tofu?
Yes, it makes for a perfect combination.
2. Is crispy kung pao Tofu healthy?
Yes, Crispy Kung Pao Tofu is a healthy recipe for all.
3. How much fat does Kung Pao Tofu Vegan contain?
Around 36grams to be precise.
The Bottom Line
The Kung Pao Tofu recipe that we have shared above with you is a must-try recipe. Do not fail to try it out at home whenever you want something healthy to snack on. Fortunately, you can also add it to your daily diet for the best results. Enjoy!