Chicken recipes are an all-time favourite of people. They are perfect appetizers and weeknight dinner meals. The ideal balance of flavours makes the Mongolian chicken recipe an exquisite chicken dish. They have crispy edges paired with saucy dips to quench Chinese food cravings. The crispy chicken breast pieces are stir-fried together in a sweet and tangy sauce. This delicious dish reaches you within 30 minutes or even less than that.
Mongolian chicken is different from Schezwan chicken. The latter is spicier than the former. Mongolian chicken recipe is straightforward to make and can leave your guest hooked when served with saucy dips. The thin pieces of chicken breast tossed with sweet and savoury sauces add to the charm of this dish. The ingredients required to prepare are readily available at affordable rates.
Ingredients Required To Prepare Mongolian Chicken
- 1¼ pounds of boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup plus two teaspoons of cornstarch
- Three tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon of garlic minced
- One teaspoon of sesame oil
- Half cup of low sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup of water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup green onions chopped into one-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions To Cook Mongolian Chicken
- Take a resealable plastic bag, and put the chicken and ¼ cup of cornstarch in it. Shake it until the chicken takes the coating of corn starch.
- Take a large pan and heat vegetable oil over medium flame.
- Place the chicken in the pan and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on both sides until they darken.
- Please take out the chicken in front of the pan and put it on a plate with paper towels.
- After that, put the minced garlic and ginger in the same pan and cook it for 30 seconds.
- After that, add sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, and water to the pan.
- Add two teaspoons of cornstarch along with one tablespoon of cold water.
- Stir them for 30 to 60 seconds until it starts to boil and thickens.
- Add green onions and chicken to the pan and toss it to cover the chicken with sauce.
And tada! In just 30 minutes, your Mongolian Chicken is ready to be served with saucy dips or rice. The combination of sweet and savoury sauce in the Mongolian chicken is worth getting obsessed with. They satisfy the spicy craving and serve as the best appetizer.
Nutritional Calculation Of Mongolian Chicken
One-time preparation of Mongolian chicken yields four servings. Per serving has the following nutritional calculation
- Calories – 452 kcal
- Carbohydrates – 46 gms
- Protein – 32 gms
- Fat – 115 gms
- Saturated fat – 9 gms
- Sodium – 739 mg
- Cholesterol – 90 mg
- Sugar – 27 gms
- Vitamin A – 165 IU
- Vitamin C – 4 mg
- Calcium – 44 mg
- Iron – 1.6 mg
- Potassium – 652 mg
Tips To Make The Best Mongolian Chicken
If you want to make restaurant-quality Mongolian chicken, do not forget to follow the below-mentioned tips and tricks.
- Keep all the ingredients stir-fried beforehand. It can reduce the chance of overcooking meat and chicken.
- Always consider using chicken thighs. Use of chicken thighs is especially recommended because even in the worst scenario, if the chicken is overcooked, it will still be tender as it has more fats, unlike the chicken breast.
- Try cooking your chicken in medium-high flame only until they are crispy golden brown. Keeping them in the wok for a more extended period can lead to unexpected results.
- While adding salt and pepper to the chicken, keep in mind to balance the dipping sauce’s seasoning and the chicken’s seasoning.
- Only use high-quality ingredients, especially when it comes to aromas like garlic, red chili, and green onions. To get the perfect spicy and garlicky flavour adds only fresh and quality aromatics. This shall make your Mongolian chicken go awesome.
- You can even consider adding vegetables like red pepper, mushroom, broccoli, chopped carrots, zucchini, and water chestnut.
- If you do not prefer chicken thighs or chicken breasts, you can anytime go for shrimp.
What Is The Taste Of Mongolian Chicken?
The taste of Mongolian chicken is sweet and savoury. The sauce used in this recipe is a hoisin sauce with brown garlic sugar and a tinge of red chili. It is milder than Schezwan chicken. The spiciness of the recipe can be felt at the back of the tongue. If you are a sweet and spicy chicken lover, consider trying Mongolian Chicken today.
To avoid spice absolutely, you can freely omit the addition of red chili. All the ingredients associated with the preparation of Mongolian chicken are readily available in the pantry. Many Asian and Western grocers have hoisin sauce available. Feel free to add ready-made hoisin sauce to get a thick syrupy taste.
Other Asian Dishes To Go Crazy For!
The Asian dishes have a perfect match of sweet and savoury flavours. This blend of this flavour with chicken brings out a fabulous chicken recipe. Mongolian chicken is one of those chicken recipes which can be served as an appetizer with saucy dips or as a dinner meal with rice. Few other Asian dishes which you must try today are as follows:
- Homemade egg rolls
- Pepper Steak
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Slow cooker orange chicken
- Chicken Lettuce wrap
- Soy Hoisin chicken thigh
- Malaysian chicken curry
- Korean fried chicken
The Bottom Line
Mongolian chicken is a mixture of hoisin sauce with chicken coated in a few teaspoons of cornstarch. They bring out the delicious ginger and garlic flavour as a perfect evening snack. The addition of garlic gives a fantastic aroma to the dish. Garnishing Mongolian Chicken with green onion gives an authentic look to this Asian dish. They are super easy to cook and can be served within half an hour or less. As the ingredients of this recipe are readily available, this particular recipe becomes the topmost prioritized dish to cook when in a hurry.