There is an endless list of food items that can be made using oats. As oats contribute to the “being healthy” factor of our lives, we try our best to amplify this nutritious yet straightforward ingredient into something loved by all. Dishes made with oats as their key ingredients never fail to impress us. If you love the taste of some “unhealthy” food items like calorie-filled muffins, pancakes, or brittle, you should check out their variations with oats as their main ingredient. Also, if you are obsessed with British-American food and desserts, you should try out their scones but with a healthy twist. Let us introduce you to a new take on the original scone- Oat Scones!
Oat Scones: A Great Dessert To Pair Up With Your Favorite Beverages:
This extremely healthy and delicious dish filled with the goodness of oats is all you need to spice up your mornings and start your day feeling refreshed. Just imagine waking up early, sitting by the patio, sipping your favorite beverage, reading your favorite book while enjoying the view, and with this, a yummy plate filled with nutritious scones. This is sure to make your day a whole lot better. As these scones are healthy, you would not have to cut down on the numbers you eat. Feel free to eat as much as you want.
Also, dip these scones in your favorite jam or spread, and they are sure to taste like heaven. Mix in some raisins, berries, currants, orange peel, or chocolate chips to have the moment of a lifetime. If you wish your scones to be moderately sweet, cut down on the quantity of sugar you mix and dip them in your favorite jams and spreads. But if you have a thing for overly sweet desserts, you do not have to reduce the quantity of sugar mixed.
We have provided you all the relevant information you will need not to face any problem making this dessert remarkable. So, we advise you to read until the very end and find out how to make the “perfect” scone for us.
1. 1 cup quick oats
2. 11/2 cups flour
3. 1/2 tsp baking soda
4. 1 tsp baking powder
5. 1/2 cup butter
6. 1/2 cup sugar
7. 1/2 tsp salt
8. 1/3 cup yogurt of any flavor (except Greek yogurt)
1. A baking sheet
2. Parchment paper
3. A pastry cutter/ two butter knives/ fork
4. A large mixing bowl
5. A pastry brush
Directions To Follow:
1. Firstly, you are required to preheat your oven to 375 F.
2. Then, take a large mixing bowl and add all the dry ingredients- flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
3. Stir and mix all these ingredients until combined.
4. Then, using a fork or a butter cutter, cut the butter and place it in the mixing bowl.
5. Proceed to add the yogurt once the butter is cut into small pebbles.
6. Now combine all the ingredients until they are equally dispersed.
7. After that, add in the quick oats and combine the mixture with your hands. Do so until the ingredients are well incorporated.
8. Now, lay parchment paper on an oven tray and shape the dough into a 1/2 inch thick circle.
9. Move on by cutting the dough into eight even triangles and continue to spread each of them onto the parchment paper.
10. With the help of a pastry brush, grease the top of the dough triangles with a little bit of yogurt.
11. Bake the scones for about 15 minutes or until the edges start turning golden brown.
12. Take the scones out of the oven and allow them to cool down completely.
Serve and enjoy!
Some Important Baking Rules To Follow:
We have listed a few essential tips and rules you should follow if you wish your scones to turn out perfect and delicious.
1. Make sure that your hands are cold while you are assembling the dough. Using cold hands to mix the dough is perfect if you do not wish to over-mix it and ensure it is flawless.
2. Cut the dough into eight equal triangles using a pastry cutter to attain perfectly shaped scones.
3. Remember to keep the butter you will incorporate in the mixture as cold as possible.
Luscious Flavors Of Oat Scones You Would Not Want To Miss Out On:
1. Cranberries Scones
As we all know, cranberry is one of the best ingredients to incorporate into a scone. Also, since it is highly nutritious when mixed with oats, it is sure to do wonders. Dried cranberries are preferred for the making of this dish. Also, if you want to add a zingy taste to your oat scones, feel free to add some orange peel.
2. Cinnamon Scones
Adding cinnamon to your nutritious scones is sure to make you feel heavenly. Its light texture and flavor will leave you craving for more. As cinnamon and caramel go so well together, you can also dip these scones in some delicious and velvety caramel sauce for the best experience.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How many calories are present in an oatmeal scone?
There are about 155.6 calories present in oat scones, which makes them healthy and nutritious.
2. Can I use brown sugar instead of regular sugar for making oat scones?
Yes, you can surely use brown sugar instead of regular sugar for making this dish. The only difference will be that scones made using brown sugar will be less healthy than those made using regular sugar.
3. Can I use berries other than cranberries to make oat scones?
Of course, feel free to use any other kind of berries, be it raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries, to make this dish.