Most people are always amazed by the culinary specialty of Philadelphia. Even the local foods of the Philadelphia state do not fail to leave our mouths watered. They have different opinions about the cheesesteak. While some prefer to load up on the steak, others can never get enough of the oozing cheese. So, what is better than trying out Philly cheesesteak if you wish to try out a local dish of the Philadelphians? Also, we promise that once you get a taste of this dish, you will find it difficult to say no to it.
What Is Philly Cheesesteak?
Philly cheesesteak is a classic, with tender ribeye steak and gooey provolone cheese. Add in some caramelized onions with your favourite hoagie rolls, and you are good to go. So, you can serve it solo or make it more indulging with a variety of dips. Throw in some fries, and you have got yourself a completely irresistible meal. If you want to make a sandwich worth remembering, this is the right choice for you. So, the combination of juicy steak, gooey cheese, veggies, and more is to die for!
How To Make Delicious Philly Cheesesteak?
The recipe for Philly cheesesteak is one of the easiest and quickest there is. So, if you wish to eat this amazing sandwich, do not worry; in a few simple steps, you can replicate this dish at home. Also, all you have to gather are cheese, steak, onions, bread, and bell peppers, and you are good to go.
1. 10 to 12 ounces ribeye steak
2. 2 ounces or three slices of Provolone cheese
3. 2 hoagie rolls, toasted
4. 1/2 medium sweet onion, sliced for caramelizing
5. 2 tbsp olive oil
6. 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
7. 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
8. 1/2 tsp kosher salt
9. 1/2 tsp black pepper
10. 1/4 cup Cheez Whiz, warmed
11. Thyme for garnishing, optional
Directions To Follow
1. Start by setting the steak in the freezer for about 10 minutes by placing it on a sheet pan. Also, you must do this to get the steak cold but not frozen.
For preparing the steak, trim off any large portions of fat you might find. This is usually seen around the edges of the steak. So, do not trim off the veins of fat found in the middle part of the steak, as they are delicious.
Using a sharp knife, slice off the steak as thin as possible. So, season the sliced steak with salt and pepper.
2. Then, set a large skillet over medium heat. Proceed to heat the olive oil in the skillet. Then, add the sliced peppers and onions. Season the skillet with salt and pepper. Allow it to cook while stirring on an occasional basis. Continue to stir till the peppers and onions begin to soften and caramelize around the edges. Also, allow it to cook for about 12 to 15 minutes.
3. To cook the steam, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining olive oil and once it gets heated, add the steak slices. Spread the slices of steak in an even layer in the skillet. Do this to make sure that the slices cover as much area as possible. Allow the steak to cook for at least one to two minutes. So, stir to end the cooking of the steak. Also, keep a close eye on the steak as it can cook immediately and can get overcooked as well.
4. Lower the heat on the steak. Add the onions and peppers and mix them until they combine with the steak slices. Also, proceed to add the Provolone cheese slices to the top of the steak. Let the cheese become gooey and melt. So, once the cheese has melted, stir it so that it gets combined with the steak.
5. Take the toasted hoagie rolls and add even portions of the cheesesteak mixture. Do not cut back on loading the hoagie rolls with the cheesesteak. So, if you are a cheese enthusiast, do not cut back from drizzling Cheez Whiz from the top. Also, add the fresh thyme and serve.
Tips For Making An Amazing Batch Of Philly Cheesesteak
If you are planning on making the local Philly cheesesteak, it is important to know the tricks.
1. The Best Beef Cut For Making This Cheesesteak
The ribeye steak cut in thin slices will be perfect for making the Philly cheesesteak. So this is because the juiciness of this steak cut is ideal for a sandwich.
2. The Perfect Sauce For Making This Dish
Mayo will hands-down be the most perfect for this Philadelphian cheesesteak. So, if you want to add zest to your sandwich, go for horseradish sauce or a hint of Worcestershire sauce.
3. The Most Ideal Cheese For Making This Cheesesteak
Provolone cheese must be your go-to cheese option for making this classic dish. This is because its gooey nature and neutral taste will help overpower the steak more.
4. Slice Your Steak In Thin Portions
Always use a sharp knife to slice your steak into thin, tender pieces.
5. Use Chicken As A Substitute Of Beef
Be our guest if you want to try out using chicken instead of beef. So, making a Philly cheesesteak using chicken will be mouth-watering in its way. Slice the chicken into thin pieces, and you will be good to go.
6. Never Overcook The Beef
If you are using ribeye steak as your choice of cut, do not make the mistake of overcooking it. This cut in the sandwich should be tender enough to melt in your mouth. So, overcooking it will give you a texture you do not wish to come across. Also, to help prevent it, slice the steak into thin pieces so that you can stir-cook it.
The Bottom Line
If you are planning on making the delicious Philly cheesesteak to serve at parties, go for it. Also, this dish will turn out to be a showstopper. So, people are bound to fall in love with it.