A Russian Salad is a well-known and nutritious Russian entree prepared with various chopped vegetables and mayonnaise. Invented by Lucien Olivier, it is a straightforward yet versatile salad that is perfect for small occasions and gatherings and is even served at various restaurants. This healthy bowl of Salad is loaded with assorted veggies like potatoes, carrots, peas, french beans, and capsicum. If you prefer your Russian Salad to be non-vegan, feel free to add egg, ham, or chicken. The addition of mayonnaise gives this Salad a creamy and zingy turn. It is highly alluring and can fill your stomachs instantly. Therefore it can be consumed alongside a light snack.
Given below is the perfect recipe for Russian Salad for every moment you desire to enjoy a healthy bowl of creamy goodness!
How To Make A Vegan Russian Salad:
1. 3 cups mayonnaise
2. 125 g carrots, peeled and diced
3. 125 g french beans, stringed and cut
4. 1 cup peas
5. 1 large potato, peeled, diced, and boiled
6. 1 tbsp mustard powder
7. 1 tbsp salt
8. 1 tbsp black pepper, freshly ground
1. Boil all the vegetables according to their consistency after chopping them.
2. Let the chopped vegetables cool down.
3. Once cool, add in the mayonnaise, mustard powder, salt, pepper, and mix.
4. Allow the Salad to chill.
Note: You can feel free to add chicken or ham to this dish to make it non-vegan.
How To Make Non-vegan Russian Salad:
1. 300 g chicken
2. 2 medium carrots, diced
3. 1/2 cup peas
4. 10 green beans, chopped
5. 100 g pineapple, sliced
6. 1/2 cup medium capsicum, cubed
7. 1 tbsp vinegar
8. 1 tbsp vegetable oil
9. Salt, to taste
10. Black pepper, to taste
1. 3/4 cup mayonnaise
2. 1 tbsp cheese spread
3. 1/4 cup fresh cream
4. Salt, to taste
5. Pepper, to taste
1. Firstly, you should wash the chicken properly and drain out the excess water.
2. Add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 tsp salt along with the boiled chicken in a pressure cooker. Could you bring it to a boil?
3. Cook the chicken in the pressure cooker for one whistle and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes, on low heat.
4. Then, turn off the flame and allow the chicken to cool down. Then remove the flesh from the bones and chop it into small portions.
5. Now, place the chicken pieces in a bowl and add the vinegar and vegetable oil. Then set it aside for 15 minutes.
6. Then, take another pot and boil some water with 1/2 tsp salt.
7. Add in the beans, carrots, and peas and let it boil for another minute. Then remove it from heat and strain.
8. Transfer the vegetables to cold water and strain again.
9. Take a bowl and mix in the mayonnaise, cheese spread, cream, salt, and pepper
10. Then, squeeze the pineapple slices evenly to drain out the water if you use a canned one. Then dice them evenly.
11. Now, it is time to assemble all the ingredients. Add the chicken, boiled, and chopped vegetables to the mayonnaise mixture. Season it with salt and pepper, as needed.
12. Lastly, add some milk if the consistency of the Salad appears to be too thick.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What is Russian Salad dressing made of?
The dressing for the luscious Russian Salad is a perfect blend of mayonnaise and ketchup along with various spices, chives, horseradish, and pimentos.
2. Can I add chicken or ham to a vegan Russian Salad?
Of course, you can freely add chicken, ham, fish, and even eggs to a vegan Russian salad. It depends on your preference.
3. What is the Russian Salad also known as?
The Russian Salad is also known as Olivier Salad, as Lucien Olivier invented it.
4. What can I pair my Russian Salad with?
You can feel free to team up a delicious bowl of Russian Salad with some toasty garlic bread. This combination will genuinely be delicious!