Have you been ever been to the beach or maybe a lake, that’s just around the corner of your neighbour or city? But you know what? Beaches and seas offer us more than just the fun, calm and stress-free environment. What? Seaweed! Most of you might think of Seaweed as some useless algae, floating in the sea and sometimes getting stick onto to your feet when you go for a dip. But that’s just not it, Seaweed is more than just some useless or annoying feet sticking algae floating in the sea.
How? Well, according to some research and dieticians, Seaweed Salad Nutrition is a great source of Sodium and a must for a healthy diet. And surprisingly, Seaweed’s have been a part of many diverse culture’s staple diets. Seaweed has a rather high Iodine level and interestingly, Japanese people consume Seaweed as a staple ingredient in their everyday diet making them the healthiest people on the globe due to their high Iodine intake. For example, ‘Sushi’ a popular Japanese cuisine which is quite famous among folks who are a great fan of Sea-food. And you know what? They not only use Seaweed their dishes and cuisines but also for medicinal purposes since centuries.
– Seaweed Salad Nutrition: the miracle diet add-on
Seaweed is not only enriched in Sodium and Iodine but also in various other minerals, Amino acid and Vitamins, which are rather a vital part of our diet and must for healthy streamlining of our bodily functions. Seaweed is enriched in Vitamins A, B, C, E and K and also a great source of several minerals such as Iron, Calcium, Iodine and Selenium etc. It is even a boon for people worried about their weight. Why? Well, that’s because according to various studies Seaweed consists of Polysaccharide Alginate, which in other words can also be interpreted as a kind of ‘Fibre’ that helps to prevent absorption of fat in the body thus possessing anti-obese properties.
And even if that’s not enough convincing enough as to why Seaweed Salad Nutrition must be included as a part of your healthy diet, then I guess that the fact Seaweed has Anti-estrogenic effects which help to lower the risk of Breast cancer and have a positive effect on menstrual health of women might just do the trick. Yes, that’s right. Consumption of Seaweed as a part of your diet, per se, a great source of plant-based nutrition.
– Is Seaweed a plant or fungi?
Well, speaking of plant-based nutrition, Seaweed can also be consumed by vegans and vegetarians as well with no second thoughts or whatsoever. Seaweed shouldn’t be confused as something that cannot be consumed by vegans or vegetarians just because it’s an alga. Then, don’t worry as it is a very common misconception. The fact that it’s an algae is all the more assuring on the same instead of confusing. For algae is not fungi at all, they have photosynthetic properties and also consist of Chloroplast needed to make food from sun and carbon dioxide. However, they aren’t also categorized as a plant as they lack roots and other requirements. Hence, they are neither fungi, animals nor plants.
• Properties of Seaweed Salad:
Seaweed Salad nutrition composition is very unique, per se and highly effective and good for health at the same time, which we will discuss in more detail in later but first let’s have a glimpse as to why Seaweed might just be the great nutrition, you need to add in your healthy diet and why you must!
– Vitamin A, B, C, E & K
– Vitamin B12
– Antioxidants including certain Carotenoids and Flavonoids
• Ways to consume Seaweed
There might no further need to stress over the fact as to why Seaweed should be a must part of your diet and all the more so, for people who are following plant-based or Vegan diet. One way to consume Seaweed is to include it as Salad. Simple and easy! But the fact that many people cannot ingest Seaweed in the form of Salad is also not an issue to worry upon. As other alternative options to the problem are also available. Certain cuisines such as Sushi, Stew, Smoothies and Soup etc., also demands Seaweed in their recipes. And since there are a variety of seaweeds available in the market, one can also go as creative as they want as well. However, below is a rather simple recipe of Wakame Seaweed Salad that you can start with:
– Wakame Seaweed (dried) – 2 Cups
– Ginger (freshly grated) – 1 teaspoon
– Sesame Oil – 1 tablespoon
– Rice Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
– Soy Sauce – 1 tablespoon
– Soak the Wakame Seaweeds in water for 10 mins until it softens or as desired.
– Add Sesame oil, Soy sauce and Vinegar in a separate bowl and whisk them to prepare the Salad dressing.
– Mix the soaked seaweeds along with other vegetables (tomatoes, onions, spinach, boiled potatoes, lentils etc.)
– Now mix the Salad with the dressing and dig in!
• Benefits & interesting facts about Seaweed
Although the Seaweed Salad nutrition composition speaks for itself. But even if you aren’t convinced yet and are still doubtful whether to include Seaweed Salad as part of your diet. Well, then allow the benefits of Seaweed Salad nutrition effects given below to make you think otherwise:
– Seaweed Salad Nutrition consists of Tyrosine and Iodine which is an absolute requirement of thyroid glands present in the body to release certain hormones that induce reproduction, repair of your damaged tissues and cell, growth and energy production in the body.
– Seaweed Salad Nutrition is enriched in Vitamins A, B, C, E & K, which is vital for your skin and hair growth & glow. Not to mention Vitamins are the must beauty mantra for healthy and beautiful skin.
– Seaweed Salad Nutrition is also a great source of Omega -3 fatty acid, vitamin B12 and minerals like Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium and phosphorous etc.
– Seaweed Salad Nutrition also consists of a variety of antioxidants such as Flavonoids & Carotenoids that fight cell damage and induces cell repair.
– Seaweed Salad Nutrition consists of fibre that has an anti-obesity effect, fights hunger pangs and increases the ‘good’ bacteria in your guts thereby flourishing your gut health.
– Seaweed Salad Nutrition consists of Polysaccharide Alginate and Fucoxanthine that lowers the risks of heart-attacks, fights cholesterols, balance blood-pressure, prevents blood-clots and fights/lowers the risks of type-2 diabetes.
• Still, got questions?
Yes, Seaweed is considered as a Vegan ingredient/nutrition source.
Yes, certainly! Seaweed is really good for health as it consists of various vitamins, mineral and amino-acids.
One can buy Seaweed in the market or in online stores as per their convenience.
No, Seaweed must not be consumed on a daily basis for it contains iodine and minerals in high concentration.
Yes, Seaweed has anti-cancer effect on the body as it prevents breast cancer in women.
Although Seaweed salad nutrition can help to induce certain functioning of the body to streamline perfectly, it might also wreak great side effect if taken in huge amounts. The amount of Iodine varies as per Seaweed species and if taken in enormous amount might lead to an overdose of Iodine and accumulation of heavy system if consumed daily or in an enormous amount in the body than prescribed. That, in turn, will offset the thyroid gland function which can cause swelling and fluctuation of weight in your body.
After all, too much of anything is never wise or healthy in any manner. So, now that you have explored so much about Seaweed Salad nutrition, compositions, benefits and even its precautions, are you ready to include Seaweed Salad in your healthy diet?