Who does not like appetizers? They are the best food type loved by people of all groups. A Shrimp Cocktail is one such recipe that is a perfect combination of the homemade cocktail sauce paired with al dente shrimp. The recipe is juicy, lip-smacking, and most loved by shrimp lovers.
If you ever visit traditional steakhouses, you will see the waiters serving you Shrimp Cocktail as a welcome appetizer. The sweet and tangy sauce with tender shrimp is all you need to quench your cravings. If you want to prepare a steakhouse quality appetizer, keep reading the article for a complete guide.
The fascinating fact about preparing this recipe is that all the raw materials required for preparation are readily available in any grocery store. Many of the ingredients are even optional. You can avoid specific elements according to your preference. Add the below-mentioned items to your shopping cart when planning to prepare a Shrimp Cocktail.
- 24 large shrimps (deveined, raw, and thawed overnight)
- ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 8 to 10 peppercorns (optional)
- Fresh parsley (only a handful would work)
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 2 tablespoon Horseradish
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco sauce would work)
Are you planning to cook a Shrimp Cocktail but lacking a good guide? Here is a step-by-step instruction guide on cooking the best Shrimp Cocktail.
- Take a large saucepan and fill the 3/4th of the saucepan with water.
- Add salt to it.
- Take the half-cut lemon and squeeze the juice into the saucepan. Peel off the lemon and add the flesh too.
- Add parsley leaves and peppercorns to the saucepan.
- Keep the flame high and bring the water to a boil.
- Turn down the heat once the water boils for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimps to the saucepan and stir until they turn pinkish and opaque.
- Let the shrimps settle down for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once your shrimps are ready, prepare an ice bath for the same.
- Take a large bowl, add two cups of ice cubes, and fill in the remaining bowl with water.
- Drain off the hot water when the shrimps are al dente and pinkish.
- Transfer the same to the ice bath bowl (excluding the aromatics- peppercorns, parsley).
- Let the shrimps settle down in the ice bath before draining.
- Peel off the shrimps but leave the tails intact to make them easy to handle.
- Again, take a medium-sized bowl and add salt, Horseradish, ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
- Combine them until they blend completely.
- Taste the sauce and add more Horseradish if required.
- Take four Martini glasses or wine glasses and divide the sauce amongst them.
- Hang the shrimp on the rim of the glass and serve immediately.
And woohoo! Your favorite Shrimp Cocktail is ready to please your guests. Whether you want a perfect welcome drink or an appetizer to serve with the main course, Shrimp Cocktail never fails to satisfy the taste buds.
One-time preparation of a Shrimp Cocktail yields four servings. Per serving has the below-mentioned nutritional value:
- Total fat – 3.4 gms
- Saturated fat – 0.8 gms
- Cholesterol – 317 mg
- Sodium – 1171 mg
- Carbohydrate – 24 gms
- Dietary fiber – 1.4 gms
- Sugar – 9.4 gms
- Protein – 34 gms
- Calcium – 159 mg
- Iron – 1.2 mg
- Potassium – 501 mg
To cook the best Shrimp Cocktail, you must use the best ingredients. The critical component is a perfect shrimp. You must always consider using large-sized shrimps. Make sure to buy deveined and peeled shrimps but uncooked ones. You can even arrange the shrimp platter and keep it inside the refrigerator, maintaining a temperature between 35 degrees F to 38 degrees F.
If you don’t get peeled shrimp, you can peel them off raw or after cooking. In either case, make sure you keep the tails intact to handle the shrimps easily. Besides this, if you keep the seats, the presentation looks perfect and overwhelming to grab. Try the recipe today!
It is always best to serve delicacies individually. In the case of Shrimp Cocktail also, you must serve them in small Martini glasses or wine glasses to give an authentic look. The food looks attractive when served traditionally.
If you don’t have Martini glasses, you can take a large dish and place a bowl of cocktail sauce in the middle. A napkin underneath the sauce bowl will prevent it from sliding away. Put a few ice cubes around the sauce bowl and place the shrimps on the rim. And here you go! A perfect presentable Shrimp Cocktail is ready for friends and family.
Shrimp appetizers are the ideal recipes for parties and midweek starters. Like Shrimp Cocktail, many other shrimp appetizers are insanely tasty and easy to make. Moreover, they are the best as you can serve them in both hot and cold temperatures. Here is the list of a few other shrimp appetizers to gorge on today!
- Garlicky Shrimp Dip
- Shrimp and Jalapeno Nachos
- Avocado Cucumber Shrimp
- Shrimp Tostada Bites
- Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Aioli
- Shrimp Scampi Cheesecake
- Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Shrimp Tartlets
Shrimp is a sure-shot hit dish at parties and sleepovers. Irrespective of the occasion, you can serve shrimps anytime. You can play with flavors and ingredients and use different techniques to prepare other shrimp recipes. They are of the correct size and suitable for serving as finger food.
Talking about Shrimp Cocktails, they are a little more unique than other appetizers. They are of the right size and perfect to serve as a welcome appetizer. Moreover, the ingredients are readily available, with many optional raw materials. Hence, if you wish to light up your party mood, include shrimp in your party menu.