Have you ever heard the term, ‘Calamari’? Probably yes but most likely no. But have you ever heard the term, ‘Squid’ or maybe, ‘Squid Salad’? Most likely ‘yes’ and perhaps some ‘No’. Here’s a shocker, Calamari is the Italian terminology used to refer squid that has been breaded and deep-fried. In case, you are a seafood lover, you might have already known it. However, if you are not, then you are welcome to be one.
The importance of oceans has always been undervalued and rarely do we even consider the after-effects of our action on it. The ocean is the home to much marine life, both flora fauna, so beautifully breath-taking. And so, switching over to a vegan lifestyle is a great way to reduce once impacts on them. Thereby, allowing the marine life to thrive. Worry, in case you love sea and seafood both, you don’t have to give up on either because we have got just the right squid salad recipe for you, which is vegan too. Chuka Ika Sansai is a traditional Japanese Squid Salad that satisfies all the criteria’s. It is made of thinly sliced squids and vegetables, both marinated in ginger and vinegar. In case, you don’t think that it might be up to the taste, then we have also got Thai Squid Salad aka Yam Pramuek and a spicy grilled Calamari salad. Although, not vegan.
Chuka Ika Sansai, Japanese Vegan Squid Salad
Vegan Calamari: 8 Ounces
Dried Instant Wakame: 1 Tablespoon
Sliced Dried Wood Ear Mushrooms: 1/4 Cup
Sliced Bamboo Shoots: 1 Cup
Scallions, Thinly Sliced: 2
Rice Vinegar: 3 Tablespoons
Avocado Oil: 2 Tablespoons
Vegan Fish Sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos: 1 Tablespoon
Soy Sauce: 1 Teaspoon
Toasted Sesame Oil: 1 Teaspoon
Fresh, Finely Minced Ginger: 1 Teaspoon
Granulated Sugar: 1 Teaspoon
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: 1/8 – 1/4 Teaspoon
- Take a pan and add Vegan Calamari, Wakame, Mushrooms and Bamboo shoot. Cover and bring them to boil until tender.
- When let them simmer for a few minutes, say 10 minutes.
- Drain them and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to prepare the dressing of the salad. When done, refrigerate the salad for at least 1 hour before serving.
Yam Pramuek, Thai Squid Salad
Bird’s-eye chillies, finely chopped: 3
Garlic clove, finely chopped: 1
Palm sugar: 2 tablespoons
Thai fish sauce: 2 tablespoons
Lime juice: 1 tablespoon
Baby squid, tentacles reserved: 400g
Garlic clove, finely chopped: 1
Garlic chives with flowers: 20
Spring onions, trimmed, cut in half and quartered lengthways: 5
Thai shallots (or 1 banana shallot), finely sliced: 5
Plum cherry tomatoes, halved: 20
Cucumber, cut in half, seeds removed, thickly sliced: ½
Mint leaves: Handful
Thai basil leaves: Handful
Ginger, peeled and thinly sliced: Thumb-sized
Vegetable oil: 2 tablespoons
Sesame oil: 1 tablespoon
- Prepare the dressing first. Grind all the ingredients of the dressing in a Pestle and mortar and set aside.
- Now clean the squid, remove the skin and cut it into halve with its tentacles attached.
- Heat vegetable and sesame oil in a pan over medium flame. Sauté the thumb-sized ginger, until gold brown. Add the squid and tentacles and cook for a few minutes more.
- When the squid begins to curl up, add the dressing to the cooked squid and then transfer it to a plate.
- Now take a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Then add the squid mixed with the dressing and mix again. Garnish with chives and serve.
Spicy grilled Calamari salad
Squid, cleaned, tentacles reserved: 1lb
Peanut or canola oil: ½ Tablespoon
Lime juice: 2 tablespoons
Fish sauce: 1 tablespoon
Sugar: 1 tablespoon
Chilli garlic sauce: 1⁄2 Tablespoon
Basil leaves: Handful
Small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchsticks: 1
Medium tomato chopped: 1
Red onion, very thinly sliced: 1⁄2
Roasted peanuts: 1⁄4 cup
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat a grill. Meanwhile, grease the squid with oil and then generously sprinkle salt and pepper.
- When the grill is hot, grill the squid until lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, take a bowl, add lime juice, chilli sauce, fish sauce, sugar and whisk to combine.
- When the squid is grilled, slice it into small ring sized shape.
- Now take a large bowl, and add the remaining ingredients, the sauce and the sliced squid. Mix thoroughly yet gently and then serve.