If you have a fetish for Japanese cuisine, this article is for you! Sushi Roll and hand roll are two terms used for different recipes that belong to the same family of Sushi. While Sushi roll is cooked using vinegar rice and other ingredients like raw fish, vegetables and fruits, Hand roll is cooked of rolled seaweed.
Although both the recipes are famous across the world, most people find it hard to tell them apart. This ultimate guide will thus help you to understand the difference between Sushi roll vs hand roll instantly!
What is Sushi Roll?
A lot of people think that Sushi and raw fish go hand in hand. Well, it might be partly true because raw fish is not a mandatory ingredient used in this recipe. Rather, Sashimi is the most vital ingredient that is used in the preparation of Sushi. This type of food is prepared using vegetables, fruits, nori and more. Once cooked, the roll is cut into small pieces.
This Japanese food is thus famous and is eaten in many parts of the globe. However, there is a certain etiquette to keep in mind while eating Sushi. This roll is eaten using chopsticks that help lift the Sushi correctly and enjoy the flavours delightfully. Thus, whenever you visit a restaurant that serves Sushi you will receive a pair of chopsticks instead of the usual fork and spoon. All types of Sushi must be eaten this way.
Types of Sushi
- Nigiri-Zushi– This one is a type of Sushi that includes tuna, the belly of tuna, shrimps and Hamachi. Hand-made with rice, this sushi is dabbed using Wasabi ingredients that make it stand out.
- Maki-Zushi- In this type of Sushi, the roll is wrapped in nori, layers of sheet rice, fish and vegetables. Once these are prepared they are cut into several pieces and served using a dip.
- Inari-zushi- Another tasty type of sushi, Inari-zushi is typically deep-fried tofu pouches. Here, the Sushi is mostly brown and provides a crispy texture.
4. Chirashizushi- This one contains a pool of ingredients topped on rice.
How to prepare Cut Roll Sushi?
Although we have already discussed that in the battle between cut roll vs hand roll Sushi, the latter is easier to prepare because of the usage of simple ingredients. However, cut roll Sushi is cooked at home by following the instructions given below well.
- two-thirds of a cup of white rice (uncooked)
- one and a third cups water
- three tbsp of rice vinegar
- three tbsp granulated sugar
- one and a half tsp table salt
- three sheets of nori (seaweed)
- half of a cucumber, thinly sliced
- two tbsp of ginger
- one ripe avocado
10. half a pound of crab meat
- Boil water in a saucepan. Add raw rice and let it cook for around 25 minutes. In the meantime, mix sugar, salt and rice vinegar in a bowl. Once the rice is cooked add this mixture to it.
- Preheat your oven at 300 degrees. In a baking sheet, warm the nori in the oven for a few minutes.
- Once cooked, place nori on a bamboo mat. Wet your hands. Now, spread a layer of rice over the nori sheet. Place crab, avocado and other vegetables of your choice. Now lift the bamboo mat and roll the sushi.
- Take a sharp knife and cut the sushi roll into small pieces.
5. Plate and serve.
What is Sushi hand roll?
A Sushi Hand roll is usually called Maki that consists of rice, raw fish, vegetables and fruits of various kinds. It comes as a conical shaped food that is served as a single large piece. A major Sushi roll vs hand roll difference is that this one is eaten with bare hands while Sushi roll is eaten using chopsticks. Although Sushi rolls are difficult to prepare at home, hand rolls can be conveniently cooked in the kitchen, using simple ingredients in no time. Sushi hand rolls can be very filling as they are large and includes many layers of food in it.
Another major sushi roll vs hand roll difference is that sushi roll comes in various kinds while hand roll serves a single type. These are a few reasons why both Sushi roll vs hand roll is so different from each other.
How to prepare hand roll sushi?
Preparing hand roll sushi is easier in comparison with a cut roll. In the battle between cut roll vs hand roll Sushi, the latter is a better option to cook at home because it keeps you fuller for longer. The ingredients are readily available which makes it easy to prepare.
- 2 3/4 cups brown rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 carrot
- 1 cucumber
- 1 sweet red bell pepper
- 1 yellow sweet bell pepper
- 10 seaweed sheets (nori)
10. Soy Sauce (for dipping)
- Rinse the rice before using it.
- In a saucepan, add rice and water. Cook for 35 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it cool for about 15 minutes.
- Put the rice in a large bowl and add vinegar to it. Mix well. Then cut the vegetables into small slices.
- Now, cut each nori seaweed sheet and place the filling in it in a roll like a manner.
6. Plate and serve.
The bottom line
Do not forget to try out the Sushi roll vs hand roll recipes that we have mentioned above for you. We hope you like them!
It depends on your liking. However, cut roll sushi tastes better as the small pieces help taste flavours properly.
Hand roll Sushi is ideal for preparation at home as it contains simple ingredients and can help make for a good meal.