Sweet potato latkes just reminds of Hanukah with crispy edges outside and soft inside. They are irresistible, when served hot right from the pan and in case you are a bit of a fitness nerd then, from the oven and with sour cream and some green onions on top.
The baked version, without a shred of doubt, is much healthier than the traditional deep-fried latkes. And are every bit as delicious. They also make a great appetizer and you can make them any time of the year, even if it’s not Hanukah.
Sweet Potato Latkes Recipe
Sweet Potatoes, peeled and grated: ½ pound
Scallions, finely chopped: 2
Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and finely chopped: ¼ / 1 tablespoon
All-purpose flour: 2 tablespoons
Kosher Salt, divided: ¾ teaspoon
Ancho Chili Pepper Powder: ¼ teaspoon
Black pepper: 1/8 teaspoon
Eggs, lightly beaten: 1
Avocado oil: 1-2 tablespoons
Sour cream: 2 tablespoons
Lime juice: 1 teaspoon
Cheddar cheese: 1 ½ tablespoon
Chives, finely chopped: 1 tablespoon
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients except for cheese, sour cream and lime juice. Mix and set aside.
- Now take a non-stick skillet and heat a bit of an oil. Not for frying. We won’t be deep frying the Sweet potato latkes. Just enough to cook them.
- Now cook the latkes until golden brown on each side. When done, drop a little cheddar cheese on the top of each and cook for a minute or two again to melt it.
- Transfer the latkes to a paper towel to absorb excess oil, if any.
- Meanwhile, take a small bowl and mix sour cream and lime juice.
- Put a dollop of the cream mixture on the latkes while they are still hot and then, garnish them with chives. Serve to see them disappear in minutes.
Baked Sweet Potato Latkes Recipe
Cooking oil, divided: 4 tablespoons
Sweet potatoes, peeled and grated: 1 ½ lb
Flour: ½ cup
Green onions, finely chopped: 6
Large eggs, beaten: 2
Garlic clove, finely minced: 1
Paprika: 1 teaspoon
Sea Salt: 1 teaspoon
Pepper: 1 teaspoon
Cheddar cheese, grated: ½ cup
Sour cream to serve
- Set the oven to preheat to 400 F. And line the baking sheet with parchment paper, drizzled with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Take a bowl and add, grated sweet potatoes, flour, green onions, the eggs, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and mix.
- Shape the potato mixture in small ball and place them on the baking tray lined with the +parchment paper.
- Drizzle the remaining oil over the potato balls and bake for 30-40 minutes, till they turn crisp and brown.
- Place a bit of cheese over the sweet potato latkes and bake them again for a minute or two to melt the cheese.
- Garnish the latkes, while they are still hot, with onions and sour cream on top. And serve.
Gluten-free Sweet Potato Latkes Recipe
Onion, medium and peeled: 1
Sweet potatoes, peeled and grated: 1 pound
White rice flour: ½ cup
Salt: 2 teaspoons
Freshly ground black pepper: 1 teaspoon
Large eggs, beaten: 3
Vegetable oil for frying
Sour cream for serving
- Take a bowl and mix onion and grated sweet potato and mix. Shape them in small balls. Now take a paper towel, wrap the ball in it and wring it to squeeze out any moisture in the mixture.
- Do the same with the rest of the balls. Now take the balls and mix them with white rice, beaten eggs flour, salt, and pepper. When done set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet for frying the latkes. Work in batches and start frying the mixture in the oil. Using a fork to flatten the latkes.
- Fry the latkes until they are crisp and brown.
- Transfer the sweet potato latkes in a paper towel to absorb excess oil, if any.
- Garnish the latkes with sour cream, while they are still hot and serve.