What Is Tortellini?
Tortellini, also known as the belly button, is a ring-shaped pasta, which can also be defined as ‘navel-shaped.’ It is either stuffed with oozing cheese or meat of your choice and is customarily served in broth. For a modern take on this delicious pasta, it can also be served with well-made sauces of your choice. So, you can choose its stuffing from a variety of special cheese components, from ricotta to Parmesan and prosciutto. Traditionally, it was believed to have been served with a broth of either beef, chicken, or a combination of the two.
History Of The Tortellini Pasta
The Tortellini pasta was believed to have originated in an Inn in Castelfranco Emilia, a village located in the Bologna country. This was until the fascist period, after which it was handed over to the territory of Modena. A myth arose that this pasta was traditionally filled with minced pork loin, usually mixed with a Parmesan or prosciutto. As such, it was known to be served with a simple beef broth, forming a perfect-for-winters dish called Tortellini En Brodo. So, you can now use similar techniques to give a modern twist to this really exceptional dish.
Our Basic Yet Perfect Tortellini Recipe
If you want to go for a basic yet really amazing tortellini dish. So, advise you to keep reading. The recipe provided for you below will tell you how to prepare the pasta dough along with the ricotta stuffing.
Ingredients For The Pasta Dough
- 2 cups All-Purpose flour
- Three eggs, small
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Water, as needed
Ingredients For The Pasta Filling
- 16 oz Whole milk Ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmigiana or Pecorino cheese
- Lemon zest of ¼ lemon (optional)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- Parsley, chopped
- First up, you need to prepare the dough. For that, you must take a large mixing bowl. Also, add flour, olive oil, salt, and eggs.
- Then, you must combine all the ingredients using your hand. If the ingredients are not properly combined. Also, add some water and mix them until they are well combined.
- Afterwards, place it on a large wooden board and start kneading to form a smooth dough without lumps. Then, roll the dough into a ball. Next, cover it with plastic wrap and set it aside.
- To begin preparing the stuffing. Once done, take a large bowl and add all the ingredients required for forming the filling. Then, fill the stuffing in a piping bag and set it aside.
- Remove the dough from the plastic wrap. After this, cut it into four equal pieces. You will be working with a single piece at a time. We advise you to wrap the remaining pieces to keep them from drying out.
- Get hold of a pasta maker and prepare the tortellini pasta just as the box instructs you to do.
- After you are done, squeeze some ricotta filling onto the centre part of each square prepared.
- Do the same with the rest. Then, prepare the tortellini.
- Now comes the last part- the cooking of the pasta. To do so, boil some water and add salt to it.
- Add the tortellini and cook them for about 6 minutes, or until all of them are hovering over the top.
- You can now serve the pasta with tomato sauce, and as a cherry to the cake. Also, add some Pecorino cheese.
Some Delicious Tortellini Recipes You Must Try Out
- Creamy Tortellini Soup
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- One 1-pound bag of frozen peas and carrots
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 10 oz fresh cheese tortellini (you can use the one prepared above)
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Take a medium pot, add the broth and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Now add the frozen vegetables to the pot. Then, allow it to boil.
- The next step is to add the tortellini and cook it for about 5 minutes or until it is tender.
- Lastly, add the heavy cream and allow it to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now, add salt and pepper to taste. Then, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and drizzle some olive oil.
Serve and enjoy!
2. Basil Pesto Tortellini Salad
Ingredients For Pasta Salad
- 10 oz fresh cheese tortellini
- ¾ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced from between
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 6 oz Fresh balls Of Mozzarella
- ½ cup olives, sliced from between
Ingredients For Basil Pesto Sauce
- 1 ½ cup fresh basil
- 1 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Take a blender or food processor. Then, add all the ingredients for the basil pesto sauce and set it aside.
- Take a bowl. Also, add the ingredients for the pasta salad.
- Lastly, mix the sauce with the pasta salad. Also, add salt as well as pepper according to taste.
Get a delicious and healthy dish ready within a few minutes.
3. Garlic Shrimp Tortellini
- 8 oz tortellini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Two garlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 4 oz sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp parsley leaves, chopped
- Cook the tortellini in boiling water until it becomes tender. Then, transfer it to a bowl and set it aside.
- Take a skillet, add some olive oil and turn the heat to medium. Add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook it for 10 seconds while stirring occasionally.
- Then, add the shrimp. Allow the shrimp to cook till it turns white.
- After that, add the sun-dried tomatoes to it. Then, stir it properly.
- After it is cooked for a few moments. Then, proceed to add the tortellini.
- Lastly, add the white wine and salt. Also, toss it properly.
Enjoy this healthy and mouth-watering dish now!
Whether it is a small get-together or even a casual evening, serving this delicious tortellini pasta can make you the star of the house in no time. So, the fact that you can customize it according to your preference is something to be glad about!