Zucchini Frittata, well quite a fancy name for flat omelette but’s that’s what they call it in Italy. That’s right, it’s an Italian dish that quite easy to make as long as you have a cartoon of eggs and a bit (okay, a hunk) of cheese. You can make one in minutes. It’s also a great way to make use of those leftover vegetables and meat in your fridge.
And you know, what? Even your prick kids would love it. However, if you ever had one, Zucchini Frittata, you might have notice that they are usually very dry, spongy and don’t taste that good. But we have taken care of that issue for you. Yeah-uh, and they are absolutely delish. They are all look for whenever you have one, delicate, creamy and yummy too. Guess, what that trick is? Simple, squeeze as much water you can out of the Zucchini and add cream. Loads of cream. To the egg batter and cook it. When done! You will have a very delicious flat omelette. So, shall we get started with the recipe?
Zucchini Frittata Recipe
Extra Virgin Oil, divided: 4 teaspoons
Zucchini, diced: 1 cup
Onion, chopped: ½ cup
Grape tomatoes, halved: ½ cup
Fresh mint, slivered: ¼ cup
Fresh basil: ¼ cup
Salt, divided: ¼ teaspoon
Freshly ground pepper: 1/3 cup Goat cheese, crumbled: 1 1/3 cup
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion and cook, for a minute or two, until the zucchini is tender, but not mushy.
- And then, add tomatoes, mint, and basil, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 pepper.
- Whisk eggs and add the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 pepper in a large bowl until properly combined. Then, add the zucchini mixture, cheese and mix.
- Now, preheat the broiler.
- Again heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-low heat. Add the frittata mixture and cook, until rock bottom is light golden, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Lift the sides and tilt the pan so that uncooked egg will flow to the sides.
- Place the pan under the broiler and broil until the frittata top is golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Loosen the sides and slide onto a plate and serve.
Baked Zucchini Frittata
Potato, boiled and diced: 2
Zucchini, thinly sliced: 4
Onion, medium, thinly sliced: ½
Extra Virgin Olive oil: 4 tablespoons
Parmesan cheese, grated: ½ cup
Egg (with yolk separated from white): 6
Parsley, finely chopped: 1 tablespoon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes in a pan for about 6-8 minutes. However, make sure that they don’t become too soft. When done, cool, peel and dice them
- Meanwhile potatoes are cooling, wash zucchini, trim and slice
- Now in a large saucepan, sauté onions and zucchini in vegetable oil, over medium-low heat, stirring frequently for about 10-15 minutes. Stir in parsley and potatoes
- Now beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl, add the vegetable mixture, Parmesan, salt and pepper
- And in another medium bowl beat the egg whites. Add the egg and vegetable mixture and pour it in a baking dish covered with baking paper.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top turns golden brown. Don’t open the oven during baking
- When done, let it rest for five minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a plate and serve warm.
Potato Zucchini Frittata
Potatoes, peeled and sliced: 2
Olive oil: 1 tablespoon
Zucchini, sliced: 2
Onion, finely chopped: 1
Dried Oregano: 1 teaspoon
Cayenne Pepper: 1 teaspoon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes for five minutes. Then drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep cast-iron skillet over medium heat. And sauté zucchini and onion, until golden. Add the boiled potatoes and stir gently to mix.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl and add the oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly into the skillet and cook until the eggs are set, say 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven’s broiler. Transfer the skillet into the broiler and cook until golden brown. When done, let it cool for 5 minutes and then serve hot.